[windows2000] Switching from DLT4000 to DLT8000

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:09:35 -0400

I recently swapped out my DLT4000 tape drives for newer, bigger, faster DLT8000
drives.

Everything went smooth but now my backups are slower not faster.  I loaded the
new drivers from Microsoft which are the same as the ones on the Quantum
website.

I am starting with new tapes to.  The quantum website said something about
tapes needing to be formatted in the 8000 to get the faster speed.

I use the Windows 2000 ntbackup and it says the tape is mounted in a device
that does not allow formatting.  I don't see anything in RSM about formatting.

Has anyone used a DLT8000 before that knows the trick to getting the speed out
of it.

Directories that took 3 minutes to backup on the 4000, not take 15 minutes.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Greg