[windows2000] Somewhat OT -- Possible NDS to AD Migration

  • From: "Andrew Shriner" <aShriner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:28:13 -0400

My organization currently runs both MS Active Directory and Novell's
NetWare/NDS. We're providing e-mail through GroupWise, proxy through
BorderManager, and client imaging through ZenWorks Imaging (yes, all of
those are Novell solutions).

This morning, when my coworkers and I arrived at the office, we
received a message indicating that we need to provide a recommendation
of which of the following we'd like to do: remain a mixed environment,
as we are, go solely NDS, or go solely AD. As the person that left the
message is very, very big into Novell products, and he hinted there
might be a chance we could move to a complete MS solution, we were
floored. After picking our jaws up off of the floor, we've been hard at
work reading as much as we can about their solutions (we all know
something about each thing, we're just trying to learn as much as we can
about everything).

Has anyone got any experience with moving from NDS to AD? Can anyone
recommend for/against it?

Also extremely important - is anyone familiar with both BorderManager
and ISA Server? Right now with BorderManager, we're restricting what
time internet access is available, per user group (using NDS user
groups). We're also restricting which web sites are available per user
group (denying nothing for admins, but porn, warez, etc., for nearly
everyone else). We're also using BorderManager's auditing features to
monitor innappropriate website visits. From reading online
documentation, I believe that ISA Server is able to do all of the above
- can anyone confirm that?

I realize this is a HUGE message and request, but I need the help ;) We
need to have this recommendation/proposal done... today... tomorrow at
the latest. Nothing like last minute requests.

Drew

-----
Andrew (Drew) L Shriner
Computer Support Services
Eastland-Fairfield Career & Technical Schools
+1.614.836.5714
ashriner@xxxxxxxx