[windows2000] Serial port question

  • From: Jim Walls <k6ccc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Windows 2000 List <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 06:51:47 -0700

Hi guys,
        I recently added a Windows XP based computer here at the house that has
only one physical serial port (as COM1) and a modem (as COM2).  Because
of all the radio and rotor controlling stuff, I need at least 2 more
serial ports.  There are three major options:
PCI serial port card(s)
USB to serial conversion adapter
External LAN based serial ports (separate box that lives on the LAN and
will provide apparent serial ports for any computer on the LAN).
Because I will need multiple devices operating simultaneously, a serial
port switch will not meet my needs.

Any of you have any recommendations on the better way to do it?

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@xxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501