[windows2000] Re: Secure FTP

  • From: Mike Dillinger <miked@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Mills <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:56:23 -0700

--- Original Message
From: Andrew Mills <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, June 17, 2004 at 07:21AM PDT

AM> We are running a Windows2000 system at work (Server, and Pro on all
AM> workstations).  We are attempting to setup an FTP service, but have very
AM> sensitive information that will be transmitted and need to make sure that
AM> information is secured.   Traditional FTP does not use any form of
AM> encryption, so we are wondering what can be done to ensure our information
AM> is secured when transmitting the files.  We have started to research WebDAV,
AM> but I am not really sure what they are, and how you go about using them, and
AM> if there are any restrictions or disadvantages to using them instead of FTP.
AM> From our reading, it appears we need Windows 2003 to set up this service.

AM> If anyone would be able to help, we would greatly appreciate it.

You have a couple of options:

1 - Most FTP servers these days offer SSL.  You can read more on SSL
here:
http://developer.netscape.com/tech/security/ssl/howitworks.html
2 - You can run a SSH server and use sftp or scp to move files between
machines securely.

I'm pretty sure that option 2 for Windows is pretty expensive, but maybe
others have more information on that.  Option 1 might be the way to go
if cost is a factor.

-MikeD