[windows2000] Re: Purpose of DNS2Go?

  • From: Jim.Walls@xxxxxxx
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:20:22 -0800

"Martin, Eddie" <EMartin@...> asked:
> What is the purpose of this product?

> http://www.dns2go.com/

As a DNS2Go customer, I feel I can answer this one.  DNS2Go allows someone
who has a dynamip IP address (common with DSL or cable modem) to have a
consistant address to be found on the internet.  DNS2Go will either work
with a registered domain name, or as a sub-domain on one of DNS2Go's domain
names (for example I could have gotten k6ccc.dns2g.com rather than
registering k6ccc.org myself).  DSN2Go has a small client program that runs
on a client's computer that chats with a DNS2Go server to keep it updated
as to what IP address is currently assigned.  DNS2Go then provides DNS
routing for anyone who is requesting whatever URL is involved.  If the
DNS2Go server has not heard from the client for some amount of time, it
will assume that the client is down and route requests for that URL either
to an alternate site, a fixed IP address, or an "off-line" page on DNS2Go's
site.

> Example?

http://www.k6ccc.org is running on a server at my house on a DSL line with
a dynamic IP address.  At the moment, my IP address is: 4.41.60.93, but
that could change at any time.

I highly recommend DNS2Go.  I have been a customer for a little under 2
years.  I currently have 2 domains on my site.

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@xxxxxxxxx
Mobile Radio Operations
Southern California Edison Co.