[windows2000] Re: Printing Restrictions

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:12:14 -0400

Not specifically, but there are tools for you...

I use a tool called REDMON to redirect printer output to a script, and then
react on that output.  And while writing the script, you have access to
variables which include the username of the person who printed, and the
document name.

Here is about what it would look like to do what you want, but this is
untested:

<--------Start---------->
if "%REDMON_DOCNAME%"=="Microsoft Word - Sample 1.doc" goto :Print
if "%REDMON_DOCNAME%"=="Microsoft Word - Sample 2.doc" goto :Print
if "%REDMON_DOCNAME%"=="Microsoft Word - Sample 3.doc" goto :Print
Goto :Exit

:Print
Copy "%1" \\Server\SharedPrinter

:Exit

You would have to do some testing to see exactly what "Redmon_docname" is
set to when printing your documents in question.

But then, create a redmon-based printer with the same driver as the printer
that you want the documents to print to.  Deny the people access to the real
printer, but grant them access to this printer, and they will only be able
to print those documents.

Hope this helps,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.