[windows2000] Re: Pest or Virus - cannot remove

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:10:37 +0100

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:18:47 +1100, Rosemary Sarkis wrote:

>I seem to be having an issue on my Windows XP Pro system (I know its a 2000
>list but the resolution will be the same Im sure)where Im getting tasks open
>automatically in the background.  I have a few programs installed that stop
>popups and these seem to work.  I donºt get popups but if I open Task
>Manager I see the following Applications running in the background.  I only
>usually get 1 task at a time.  If I close the app, its replaced with
>something different.  These IE processes cannot be seen ¡ they run in the
>background only
>
>- Online Dialer ¡ Microsoft Internet Explorer
>- Absolut Teen ¡ Microsoft Internet Explorer
>- http://sexzones.net
>etc
>
>Im concerned my son has browsed some porn sites and given me a pest which I
>cannot remove
>

>I have installed the following applications
>
>- McAfees virus with latest defs
>
>- Ad-Aware (with Adwatch monitoring)
>
>- HiJackThis
>
>- Popupstopper
>
>- XP Firewall enabled
>
>AdAware picks up the std bug (Webdialer) and removes it but it constantly
>reappears (even with Adwatch enabled).  The other piece of software
>installed which may be causing the issue in the first place in Kazaa Lite
>K++ (which is supposedly Ad free)
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to remove these pests
>that run in the background?

You might want to get a little applet called StartupCPL, which is
really a GUI for the run-keys in the registry. Using this applet
you should be able to see what is autostarting from all those
obscure places in the registry and delete those keys. Also go
through the add/remove-programs and uninstall all apps that seem
suspicious.

YMMV and don't forget that if you run regedit and edit the registry
directly/manually may screw up the registry requiring a reinstall
of winodws.

HTH.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# When all else fails, read the instructions. ¡ L. Iasellio.