[windows2000] Re: OT: Thoughts on Vendors for Suggestions for Backup UPS and or Generator Vendor for medium size computer room

  • From: Berny Stapleton <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:16:10 +0000

I don't know what your draw is, but really, it's not like there is
anything new in what you are doing. My general rule of thumb is to
just get something that will do the amount of KVA for your current
load, plus whatever you think you will want to handle in your DC.
After that, make sure you have batteries to last say 15 mins, and get
a generator that will run your whole room (Including your AC and
chiller towers, no point running the servers if you can't cool 'em!)
and whatever else you need.

Make sure that the air going to the generator can be filtered for
dust, and find out how often it needs to be serviced (Run hours before
service, oil filter oil change etc) and how you are going to fill it
up again. All these should be considerations as part of your design.

You might be in the position where if there isn't any power, you don't
need that uptime, so all you want to do is give yourself enough time
to do a graceful shutdown of your systems before it falls over on it's
own accord...

You probably don't want to spec your UPS with enough battery to last
24 hours, the batteries (Well used to at any rate, double check this
one) don't like being drained slowly, and you will probably fry a
couple of batteries in the process if you do this.

Berny

//www.freelists.org/list/windows2000