[windows2000] Re: OT: Checking NAT device

  • From: "Eduard L. Frerking" <elf@xxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 20:51:58 -0700

Thank is exactly what I thought! There is no way for the WAN (internet side)
to know which host requested or sent the packet from the MAC or IP point of
view. That information is kept within the NAT device. Summary: The WAN
(internet) even with packet snifters and such, to know how many hosts
(computers) are on the LAN!

Thanks for the confirmation.

Eduard L. Frerking
Capt. Jason M. Dahl School
San Jose, CA
elf@xxxxxx

      From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Eduard L. Frerking
      Posted At: Thursday, May 20, 2004 8:07 AM
      Posted To: Windows 2000
      Conversation: [windows2000] OT: Checking NAT device
      Subject: [windows2000] OT: Checking NAT device

      Sorry for the slightly OT.....

      Is there anyway to test which MAC addresses are being seen outside a
NAT device such as a dual honed Win2K server?

      We have a Win2K box acting as a Router/Bridge and DHCP server. One NIC
is connected to the Internet (WAN side) and the other to our network (LAN
side). It works well. However, is the anyway to test easily that our LAN
side host (computers, servers, etc.) MAC addresses are not seen on the WAN
side?

      In other words, We want to test the NAT function that the translation
does not reveal the number or type of LAN side host we have to the Internet
WAN.

      This question could be asked of any router that provides NAT.

      Eduard L. Frerking
      Capt. Jason M. Dahl School
      San Jose, CA
      elf@xxxxxx