[windows2000] Re: Network share over the Internet

  • From: "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:57:05 -0500

> From: Chris Berry
>
> | I have a W2K server at a remote location that I'm renting off a Web
> hosting
> | company.  This server is connected directly to the Internet
> without any
> | firewall in front of it or anything.
>
> Ahhhhh!!!!  This is so bad!!  Smack your hosting provider
> upside the head.

I know...  I'm the one who should be smacked though, as I did not opt for
firewall protection.  I'm not afraid.  :]

> | I'm unable to map a drive to this computer over the Internet,
>
> And you would want to do it this way why?  Use a VPN man, that's what
> they're for.

The reason that I'd want to do this is laziness.  I'm sick of ftp'ing.  I
know I should be thinking VPN.  I just get a little nervous trying to setup
things I've never done before on a server that is not physically accessible,
in the event I screw something up and cannot TS in anymore...

> | and I think I've come to the conclusion that
> | it's because my home ISP (Comcast) is blocking ports
> 137-139 (are they the
> | ones?).
>
> Comcast sucks, but in this case they're saving you from yourself.
> (However, win2k does all netbios stuff over port 445)

Well, I at least know that the remote server is listening for connections on
445, so it seems that the server is fine.  Thanks.

As far as having this server out there, I'm fine with it.  Let's say I got
another server and installed ISA on it.  What would that do?  Block traffic
and stuff.  Maybe I'm just being naïve, but I feel as though I'm
accomplishing the same thing with TCP/IP Filtering and IP Sec.  I've had a
wide-open server like this for about a year and a half, and all is good SO
FAR.

Thanks,

Ray at home