[windows2000] Mapping network drives?

  • From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:56:40 -0400

I've never had a problem before, but...

I have a client with a Server 2003 SBS and a mix of XP Home and XP Pro
workstations.

The only reason the XP Home workstations utilize the server is for DHCP,
internet access (DNS), and a shared folder named "Common User Files".

The XP Home PCs use a Workgroup name which is the same as the Domain name.

When I set this up, I had no trouble mapping the shared drive on the XP Home
PCs.  The server would ask for a user name and password to see the share,
and I would type in administrator and the admin password.  I remember there
was an option to save the password which I checked.

(I know, I know, I probably opened a security hole I could drive thru, but
security is not a major problem here.)

Anyway, lately the option to save the password seems to have disappeared
(Server 2003 SP1?) and the next time the user tries to access the drive
after a reboot, it asks for the admin password.

Have I answered my own question?  Is SP1 the reason?  Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance!

Mark