[windows2000] ITAR and traveling

  • From: "Mark Lane" <marklanemail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:29:53 -0500

We find ourselves unexpectedly in the position of having to satisfy U.S.
government ITAR (export control) regulations.  Foreign nationals must be
restricted from ITAR data.  The consultants are vague on the system
requirements to be in compliance.  The root of our forest is in Israel,
which complicates matters extremely.  Our recommendation to set up a
separate forest for our U.S. company has been stricken down by our parents
in Israel.  They want us to set up a very small forest for a "gatekeeper"
role instead of leaving their forest.

International travel is the latest topic.  One of our sister companies is
requiring anyone leaving the U.S. to take a clean laptop instead of their
own.  They include printed licenses to satisfy software export requirements.
It has been suggested that RDP be the only way of accessing our systems
while in another country.  Has anyone had any experience with international
travel regulations?  What are your policies/procedures?

Thanks in advance for any experience, insight or comments.