[windows2000] IIS on a domain controller

  • From: Aaron Dokey <adokey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:39:04 -0400

I know that it's a generally accepted bad practice...  Here is the
situation.

I've got a DMZ with it's own NT4 domain, and currently the domain
controllers are very old and slow machines (Original Pentium's, ~64MB
Memory).  The DC's work out just fine for now, that's all they're doing and
the load is very light.  However, I'm planning an AD migration and would
like to extend that to this domain by making it a tree within our new
forest.  The only machines I've got that are capable of running win2k with
any sort of speed are the servers in the DMZ themselves.  So, what exactly
are the security implications of making one of the less used IIS boxes a DC
for the DMZ?  Please keep in mind that it will also have trusts back into
our production domains outside of the DMZ.

I don't think that I'm going to be able to purchase new hardware to serve as
domain controllers to get this done.  Money is just too tight right now.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Dokey - MIS
Reid Tool Supply