[windows2000] Re: IIS Reverse Proxy ISAPI

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:17:41 -0500

Unfortunately, that won't work...

Windows Home Server has built in remote (and local) web access
applications.  in order for them to work properly, you obviously need to
forward ports 80 and 443 from your firewall to the internal machine.

But I also want to come in via the same port to access some other stuff
on the local network.  Since port 80 is directed to the WHS machine, I
can only do this by creating a second website (with host headers) on the
WHS machine and letting IIS determine which website I am hitting.

Before, on the old server, I did this with apache, with two virtual
hosts set up.  One of the virtual hosts also had some reverse proxy
stuff so that http://somedomain/tivo was really a proxy to my internal
only TivoWebPlus server, running on a completely different web address
(on the Tivo, actually).

I found a free URLRewriter/URLProxy for IIS from Managed Fusion:
http://www.managedfusion.com/products/url-rewriter/

It seems to work pretty well, and uses most of the same syntax as the
Apache reverse proxy.

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Kenzig
http://thin.ms
Posted At: Friday, February 13, 2009 2:45 PM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Re: IIS Reverse Proxy ISAPI
Subject: [windows2000] Re: IIS Reverse Proxy ISAPI

Why don't you make a VM of it?
Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenzig
Twitter: http://twitter.com/InternetPilot
Monetize your Twitter Profile: https://www.twittad.com/a/vA

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Sullivan, Glenn
<GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Anyone know of a good free reverse proxy add-in for IIS6?  There
seem to
        be a multitude of them for purchase, but nothing free...

        I've moved almost all the stuff off my two old energy hog
servers and
        onto my new Windows Home Server, but I just need to replace the
reverse
        proxy that Apache is serving up so I can remote access my Tivo.

        Thanks in advance,

        Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
        David Clark Company Inc.

        //www.freelists.org/list/windows2000