[windows2000] High CPU usage on DC

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 17:36:24 +0200

Hi list,

My 1ry DC (win2k3 fully spacked) reports a high CPU usage after having been
up for awhile. I found the KB840371 TechNet article

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840371>

which suggested that the issue may have to do with the print spooler hanging
after RDP sessions. I also installed the patch mentioned, but it failed to
install and it said that the service pack is newer than the patch I was
trying to install. So I disabled the print spooler service altogether, as I
don't print from it anyway, but this did not help - of course.

However on a hunch I had a look in the Terminal Services Manager for a
possible frozen admin RDP-session (we only use rdp on the DCs for
administration, nothing else), and decided to reset the RDP-TCP Listener.
The CPU usage went down to normal, at least temporarily and for now.

Any clues on what may cause this?

BW,
        Sorin
http://home1.pp.sbbs.se/sorin_srbu/
Still a Proud Member of TEAM OS/2.
Mountainbiker [Kona Kilauea - Member of Equipe Les Cafards VTT]
MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+ [Knowledge = Power!]
Please mail me for my public PGP key.

/\