[windows2000] Re: HOW DO I BLOCK USER ?

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:09:37 -0800

>From: shafik shifa <shafikshifa@xxxxxxxxx>
>we have a domain of 100 user is has both database and internet >connection
>in the same win2000 server (Domain), i want to do the >following cany you
>guys help me how i can do.
>1- Block some users in our LAN not to browse.
>2-Block some users in our LAN not chat.
>3-Block some from Both Browsing and Chating.
>Note: The inernet connection is via sattlite that is why we have both
> >fileserver and internet server together.

I'm assuming that you mean you don't want some of them surfing websites,
don't want some using Instant messengers, and some shouldn't be able to do
either.  Its a pretty easy answer really, YOU NEED A FIREWALL!!  If you're
low on budget you should be able to grab an old box thats laying around the
office and set up linux IPTABLES or SMOOTHWALL.  If you have some more money
then a cisco PIX or checkpoint box would probably be a good plan.  If you're
a microsoft junkie, then ISA server is for you.  Once you have it in place,
just set up some decent firewall rules and you're ready to go.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."