[windows2000] GPO not always applying SOLVED!!

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:23:58 -0700

This problem is so wierd I had to share.  I've been having trouble with our
group policy objects not always applying for a while now, and I couldn't
figure out why.  I finally stumbled on the answer when I was looking up some
entries in my applications log:

5/20/2003       6:03:23 PM      SceCli  Error   None    1001    N/A     SERVER
"Security policy
cannot be propagated. Cannot access the template. Error code = 3.
        \\Domain Name\sysvol\Domain
Name\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\Microsoft\Windows
NT\SecEdit\GptTmpl.inf. "

Which showed up in MKBA 258296

Turns out that you have to have file and print sharing bound to the primary
adapter on a domain controller (which I did), and that that adapter must be
first in the binding order (which it wasn't!).  Somehow at some point in the
past, my active adapter had ended up second on the list after my disabled
adapter.  Have to do a reboot tonight after everyone leaves and I'm all set.
Woohoo!

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"All I want is a few minutes alone with the source code for the universe and
a quick recompile."