[windows2000] Re: GPMC with WinXP x64

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:10:29 +0200

Sorin Srbu <mailto:sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Wednesday, September 06,
2006 11:53 AM:

Found my own answer this morning:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=93411&feed=rss&subj=0

Q: Where can I get the 64-bit version of Group Policy Management Console
(GPMC)?

A. There's currently no 64-bit version of GPMC, and the existing 32-bit
version won't run on 64-bit platforms. You can run the 32-bit version remotely
to manage Group Policy on 64-bit domain controllers (DCs), but this still
requires 32-bit OSs on which to run the tool. Windows Vista will include both
32-bit and 64-bit versions of GPMC.

So much for a tool to use *now* like... Unless it's available in the Vista RC
already? Anybody know?

TIA.

> List,
>
> I'm at a loss here, I can't use my WinXP x64 with GPMC when administering
> my domains. Does anybody know how this is supposed to work, if at all??
>
> I have a portable backup-computer, next to my stationary x64, running 32b
> WinXP and with this I can eg create and deploy software-GPOs to all 32b
> boxes (GPMC works), but I *can't* create new GPOs for x64-computers on this
> box ("this installer is not supported on this OS..").
>
> I've installed GPMC on my x64-box and I can view stuff with it, but when I
> click to create a new GPO it gives me a "gpedit.msc not found error".
> Searcing for this file on the x64, I do find it, but when dbl-clicking it
> to start it, it apparantely only starts the *Local* Computer Management
> MMC, and does not give access to the domain GPOs.
>
> In the Notes-section on the below url

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A6D4C24-8CBD-4B35-92
72-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en