[windows2000] Failing to demote a domain controller to a member server

  • From: "Rod" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Windows 2000 List" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:08:48 -0600

I need to demote a domain controller, which is not the last DC in the
domain, but I am getting an error when I make the attempt.  I get a New
Credentials dialog box with "Access is denied" and it asked me to specify an
account with "Enterprise Administrator privileges to the forest".  We don't
have a forest of domains, but it thinks we do and it just stops me cold.  If
I enter something which has domain administrator privileges, then dcpromo
will go on for a little while longer and then complain about some other DC
and not having privileges to that.

What's wrong and what, if anything, can I do about it?

Rod