[windows2000] EFS, Offline Folders - can't mix?

  • From: Paul Simon <PSimon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'nt2000@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <nt2000@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:03:48 -0500

Here's the situation:

Healthcare company with laptop users.  W2K clients, NT4 domain.
Requirements are that email, and employee(/client) data be secured to
industry standards when stored on laptop computers, in our case we use EFS.
We used to use PGP's client software which created a password protected
virtual drive.  They no longer sell this software.

Here's what we have been successful in doing:

Setting up a secured EFS folder in which all contents are encrypted, etc.
Setup outlook with offline folder settings/OST, storing the OST file in the
secured directory -- works great.

Here comes the problem...

Setup Offline folder access for the user directory
(\\server\userdirs\psimon).  Synchronizing works just fine; we've researched
that Offline Folder data is stored in %systemroot%\CSC.  Leaving this as is
would not be to the companies best interest.  We need to further secure the
"cached files" with EFS.  Problem is the CSC folder will not let us EFS it.
Maybe because it's +SH - who knows.  The files in the CSC folder are binary,
but still not secure.  We're looking into the cachemov res kit utility but
we don't expect much help from that.

Here's where I need your input:

How would one apply extra security (EFS) to the cached files generated when
using Offline Folders?

Thanks in advance for your help!

---
Thanks,