[windows2000] Download Pick: MM: Halfway to ajax-Excel. Introducing ajaxXLS 0.5

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:41:22 -0700 (PDT)

I like the part about opening documents from your website!
  JK

  Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:02:51 UT
Subject: MM: Halfway to ajax-Excel. Introducing ajaxXLS 0.5
To: jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx
From: "Michael Robertson"<info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          If this message is not displaying properly, visit
www.michaelrobertson.com to launch it in your browser.

                    Halfway to ajax-Excel. Introducing ajaxXLS 0.5
April 14, 2006

My son's Little League season started two weeks ago. The helpful "team mom"
emailed a team schedule to all the players. Unfortunately, it was an .xls file
requiring Microsoft Excel to open the file. This is not unusual. The majority
of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint users are casual
home users who, like the mom in the above scenario, need to simply open a file
that's been sent to them and then print it, or maybe make minor edits and pass
it along.
             Introducing ajaxXLS 0.5

The only way to get Microsoft Excel is to buy Microsoft Office, which costs
$400+. Using OpenOffice is another option, but few people know about this
product, so they end up pirating a copy of Microsoft Office or trekking to
their local computer store and spending a lot of money to solve a simple
computing task.

Starting today, the world has another option - ajaxXLS 0.5. This program, like
ajaxWrite and ajaxSketch, is an AJAX program that loads in seconds directly
over the Internet. One click on ajaxXLS.com and you have a spreadsheet program
to open any .xls file. Nothing to buy. Nothing to install. No need to register.

This is the first web service that will open .xls files for free on the
Internet, and I hope it will turn into a valuable resource. With this release,
we're publishing the methodology whereby any search engine, email client or
other software developer can provide a link to an existing .xls document
(currently the document must be publicly available online) so that anyone can
open it using ajaxXLS. For example, my Mozilla/Thunderbird email client could
have provided a URL next to every .xls attachment. When I click it, the
document will automatically open and be viewable and printable. You can also
create a link on your website that opens any spreadsheet in ajaxXLS.

        Click here to obtain a copy of the code for your site.
We're making two versions of ajaxXLS available. ajaxXLS 0.5 viewer is suitable
for viewing and printing existing Microsoft Excel documents, but it does not
support editing. It's the first free .xls web viewer program, but that's only
half the problem. People need to edit .xls documents too and we're working on
that. We're also making an ajaxXLS 0.51 editor pre-release available which does
allow editing, but is not reliable. We wanted to show you the latest products
from our lab and what is possible so you'll see the direction we're moving.
We'll be making constant improvements to this version which will happen
seamlessly on the ajaxXLS web site (which is one of the major benefits of
Internet delivered software - you always get the latest version).

             Take a look at ajaxXLSHere's what works in ajaxXLS 0.5 viewer:
- Import an existing .xls document
- Display text
- Display charts
- Preserves formulas
- Displays common formatting (text style, fixed decimal, currencies, date, time)
- Preserves cell background and cell borders

What we're working on for ajaxXLS 0.51 editor:
- Saving changes to certain formulas
- Copy/paste with automatic reference update
- Multi-cell fill
- Advanced functions

Even though ajaxXLS is only halfway to where it needs to be, I hope it will
grow to be a cornerstone AJAX application. I hope you'll try opening up your
.xls files with it and report your experiences in the ajaxLaunch forum so we
can make ajaxXLS the best it can be.

-- Michael

The views expressed herein are those of Michael Robertson and do not
necessarily reflect
the views of any of his affiliated companies.

        Click here to see full Michael?s Minute archive.        Please do not
http://michaelrobertson.com/contact.php    We are located at 9333 Genesee Ave,
Suite 100, San Diego, CA, 92121

All company and product names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
© 2006. All rights reserved.

Jim Kenzig
CEO The Kenzig Group
http://www.kenzig.com