[windows2000] Re: DNS configuration

  • From: "Ray Costanzo" <ray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 06:47:41 -0500

Hi Jim,

I'm surprised this went unanswered on this list.

So, in addition to hosting the sites on this server at home, you also don't
want to use a hosting service for nameserver services, correct?  Your
nameserver will be the one who authoritatively answers the question, "What
is the IP address for host.abc.org."  The part that I don't get is, who
answers the question of, "What's the IP for nameserver1.domain.com?"  Is it
God?  The nameserver for domain.com?  OK, who answers that?  And so on.  If
you're going to do your own nameserver of ns1.abc.org and ns2.abc.org (even
if they point to the same physical server), I think you're still going to
have to pay someone somewhere to maintain the fact that those hostnames
point to your IP.

Have you considered just using nameserver services?  There are free options
out there if you don't want to pay.  http://www.granitecanyon.com/