[windows2000] AutoDefrag Problem

  • From: "Wilson, Tyfanie" <twilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:38:19 -0600

Hello all...

System:  Windows2000, all the latest sp's, some running Citrix, some =
not.

Problem:  For a few weeks now I have been tracking down why =
Autodefrag.exe (from www.morphasys.com) is not running on ANY of my =
machines from the Task Scheduler, but would run fine from the command =
prompt. =20

I found other people having the same problem at SourceForge.net, but I =
am a little wary of doing it.  The suggestion said:

"I too had a problem running autodefrag on certain=20
machines.  It appeared to just hang when run under the=20
SYSTEM account.  I tracked the problem down to=20
the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\OLE" registry
key.  This machine in particular had an extra registry=20
value called "DefaultAccessPermission" which prevented
the
SYSTEM account from firing off the defrag engine=20
(DFRGNTFS.EXE).  If you run the utility DCOMCNFG.EXE, you=20
can either change the default permissions to include the=20
SYSTEM account, or specify permissions for just the defrag=20
engine.

Peter."

My question to you all:  Has anyone had this problem?  Applied this fix? =
 Found another fix that worked better?  Would running this utility have =
any repercussions?  I did a search & have found a few problems that can =
be caused by incorrect permissions using the dcomcnfg.exe, and I feel =
that I don't know what I'm doing on that.

Thank you very much.

~Tyfanie~