[windows2000] Re: AW: Re: free firewall for stand-alone server?

  • From: Steven Peck DNET <speck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:22:33 -0800

The original request was for a firewall on a Windows Server, I believe
ZoneAlarm would be the answer.  It would be the wrong answer, but it is the
answer.  I have a great hesitation in recommending Firewalls on servers, it
can interfere with to many things, and by the time you open the ports to
make your server work, you might as well not have a firwall.

For a free single floppy or CD firewall that is free (and not in German) you
could try the Bering distribution from the www.leaf-project.org site.  Just
add a 486 or up, 2 NICs and a floppy drive (CD Optional).

It has an extenseive install guide and a VERY active support list.  I use an
earlier distribution of the project myself for a number of sites.  The first
version was installed in 45 minutes from the instructions.  I had never used
Linux at that point.

-sp