[windows2000] A user is having problems accessing an ASP.NET application we wrote

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:17:26 -0600

I've been asking this question on different developers list that I am on, but I
am beginning to think that the real problem is at the system level, rather than
a programming level.

We've got an ASP.NET 1.1 application on a Windows 2000 Server.  (It has the
latest service pack for .NET 1.1.)  I've got a user who, when running the
ASP.NET application gets the following error message:

"Unable to validate data.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to validate data.

Source Error:

request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be
identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data.]
   System.Web.Configuration.MachineKey.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf, Byte[]
modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength) +195
   System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input) +60

[HttpException (0x80004005): Authentication of viewstate failed.  1) If this is
a cluster, edit <machineKey> configuration so all servers use the same
validationKey and validation algorithm.  AutoGenerate cannot be used in a
cluster.  2) Viewstate can only be posted back to the same page.  3) The
viewstate for this page might be corrupted.]
   System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input) +118
   System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +101

[HttpException (0x80004005): Invalid_Viewstate
        Client IP: 192.9.200.185
        Port: 2192
   System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +442
   System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageViewState() +18

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032"

We do not have a cluster here, so I do not believe that has any bearing on our
problem.

The strangest thing about all of this is that the problem is localized to
just one PC.  If the same user goes to any other PC in-house, and logs on as
herself, she can run the application just fine.  And, if anyone goes to her
PC and logs into the ASP.NET application, it does NOT work for them, either.

What could the problem be?

The IIS server is: Windows 2000 Server, with SP4 for
2000 and the latest service pack for .NET Framework 1.1.

The user's PC is a Windows XP Professional machine with SP2.

Rod