[windows2000] A question about replacing our firewall

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:31:05 -0600

Right now we have got an old server running Windows 2000 Server and ISA, acting
as our firewall.  The former system administrator also made that server a
domain controller in our Active Directory 2000 domain.  (I don't know why, but
he did.)

Well, now the organization of which we are a part, wants to replace the old
server with a new Windows 2003 Server, but they do not want to make it a part
of our domain.  (I don't know if they want to use ISA server or not.)  Instead
they want to make this new server a part of its own workgroup.  We use DHCP (on
different servers) and they want to also put the DHCP functionality onto this
new server.

I don't know enough to know whether or not this is a good idea, or not.  It
looks to me as though this will work, but I don't know.  What do you think of
their proposal?