an accessible version of the oddcast plug-in

  • From: "Marty Rimpau" <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "winamp for the blind list" <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 21:41:27 -0700

Hi all, this came from the blind tech list, and thought you guys could
benifit from the information.

Hi All,

As some of you may know, Oddcast, is a Winamp 2/3/5 DSP plug-in which
allows
one to stream mp3 vorbis and Windows Media audio.  In a couple of
respects
it is comparable to the shoutcast DSP with which many of you will be
familiar.  However, the addition of support for WMA and Vorbis
streaming set
it apart from Shoutcast.  Further more, unlike the SAM encoders from
Spatial
Audio Oddcast is completely free to use as much as you want on as many
machines as you want.

The adoption of Oddcast has been rather slow amongst the streaming
blind
community owing to it's interface which is largely graphical and had
very
little keyboard support.  However, the plug-in was still usable and
has
produced some marvellous results for those of us who have persevered.

The following was recently posted to a mailing list by the author of
Oddcast.  I would urge anyone interested in streaming audio to take up
the
author's invitation and provide feedback regarding the following.
Moreover,
Remember, he's a programmer doing this in his spare time, with almost
no
clue about all the screen readers out there.  So messages in the form
of (It
doesn't work for me, I'm using JFW 4.5) won't be very helpful.  The
other
thing to keep in mind is that this guy has gone out of his way for us
and I
feel it is a good idea that when someone does something like this for
the
community that we at least attempt to show our appreciation by
providing
some useful and constructive feedback.  Please forward where
appropriate.

---Oddsock writes:
I released a blind-friendly version of oddcast a long time ago, but
haven't
really had any feedback (actually zero feedback) from anyone whose
actually
tried to use it...I recoded the main UI to use common windows controls
in
the hope that it would then become more blind-accessible... your
feedback
is most welcome..

http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv2_wa2_bf/

Geoff Shang has agreed to collect and collate the feedback.  You can
write
to Geoff at:

gshang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marty