Re: Send Space Link For Monkey's Audio Codec: Required For Winamp Functionality

  • From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 00:57:31 -0400

Hi Arleen,

Well, they are actually few and far between.  There is an audio file type
called Monkey's Audio that does indeed have an ape extension (a-p-e).  As I
explained previously, it's promoters claim it is lossless.  I have seen real
debates by audio techies claiming that it isn't nearly as good as the FLAC
format and a few other lossless types that I don't remember.

I do have a couple of albums I got a long time ago--Elvis music I believe that
is in ape format.  They sound pretty good, but frankly, I wouldn't say they're
significantly better than MP3.  They are indeed quite a bit larger 1.5 to 2
times larger as I recall.