[win2kforum] SP3 Again

  • From: cej4108@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles E. James)
  • To: windows2000profandadvserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,Windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,"'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"@freelists.org,windows2000pro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, MSWindowsXP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:31:49 -0400

Hi, All

I keep seeing messages on the SP3 fiasco...a lesson I learned a very long time
ago...never-ever-ever install any SP, patches, etc until they have been on the
street for at least three months before installing on your
equipment----especially, most importantly, never on your servers as you may end
up reinstalling from scratch/backups...which is a real bummer....

All software verdors should be given the same caution regardless...a good rule
of thumb is if your system is working just fine then you don't need it. This
rule doesn't always apply when it concerns critical security issues but then
you should hesitate for at least three months so the bugs get worked out of the
bug patches.

If you have proper security installed, firewalls, A/V software, etc then you
need not worry to much about installing those critical patches until they prove
themselves.

Save yourself the headaches...see, I waited, still waiting, and I see that SP3
is to problematic to install right now. Hopefully Microsoft will address these
issues and concerns and provide adequate patching (still wait three months...).

--
Charles E. James, Programmer/Analyst I
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley California