[win2kforum] Re: Lost primary DC and AD controller - Help!

  • From: "Faulkingham, Shawn" <SFaulkingham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:00:19 -0600

Ed -
My apologies, but this is what I have found. There is also a registry key
you need as well. Here is the documentation which should get you where you
need to be:

Additional recovery options
To recover a corrupted DHCP database, you can use the following options for
restoring the database.
*       Simple recovery. Restore the database from a backup copy of the
database file, Dhcp.mdb.
                This method is recommended as the preferred method of
recovery because it involves less risk of losing information previously
configured and stored by the DHCP server and is much simpler to perform. For
more information, see Reconciling scopes.
*       Advanced recovery. Generate a new database file using the DHCP
Configuration registry key.
                This method can be useful as an additional method to use for
data recovery where simple restoration of the database is not possible. For
more information, see Moving a DHCP database to another server.
In some cases of apparent DHCP database corruption, you might also want to
determine whether the server has run out of disk space, which could prevent
the DHCP server from continuing to service clients on the network until
there is room to continue growth and expansion of the DHCP database.
Moving a DHCP database to another server
Windows 2000 provides the DHCP console, which allows you to manage DHCP
servers installed and running on a single DHCP server computer. However, the
DHCP console does not allow you to move a database from one installed DHCP
server to another server computer.
This topic provides details of how to move a database from one server
computer to another server computer, assuming the DHCP database and its
backup directories are on default drive and path locations.
Backing up the DHCP server database (at the source server)
Complete the following procedures at the server computer being used as the
source for the DHCP database:
1.      Stop the DHCP server.
                For more information, see To start or stop a DHCP server.
2.      Disable the DHCP Server service in the list of services.
                This prevents the DHCP server from starting after the
database has been transferred. To perform this task, use Computer Management
and select the DHCP Server service from the list for it to be disabled.
                For more information, see To enable or disable a service for
a hardware profile.
3.      Copy the DHCP server directory tree, systemroot\System32\Dhcp, to a
temporary location on the new (destination) DHCP server. For example, copy
the directory tree to C:\Temp\System32\Dhcp.
4.      Start the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) and go to the following
subkey:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Services
\DHCPServer
                For more information, see To open Registry Editor.
5.      Save the specified key to a text file.
                For more information, see To save a registry key.
6.      Delete the DHCP server database folder, %SystemRoot%\System32\Dhcp,
at the source server.
7.      Uninstall the DHCP server to remove it from this server.
                For more information, see To remove or uninstall DHCP.
Note
*       Steps 6 and 7 are optional.
Restoring the DHCP server database (at the destination server)
Complete the following procedures at the server computer being used as the
destination for the DHCP database:
1.      If you have not already installed the DHCP server software, install
it and then restart the server computer.
                For more information, see To install a DHCP server.
2.      Stop the DHCP Server service.
                For more information, see To start or stop a DHCP server.
3.      Rename the System.mdb file to System.src in the temporary folder,
such as the C:\Temp\System32\Dhcp directory.
4.      Copy the DHCP server directory tree from the temporary folder to
systemroot\System32\Dhcp to replace the existing DHCP server directory.
5.      Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) and go to the following subkey:

                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Services
\DHCPServer
                For more information, see To open Registry Editor.
6.      Select the DHCPServer key (located under the Services key).
7.      Restore the registry hive information from the file you saved in
Step 5 of the previous section.
                For more information, see To restore a registry key.
8.      In Restore Key, for File name specify the following:
                systemroot\System32\Dhcp\Backup\Dhcpcfg
9.      When prompted, click Yes.
                After clicking Yes to the prompt to overwrite the existing
registry entries, if you have problems completing the restore operation,
retry the previous step.
                Be sure that you are not attempting the restore using
Registry Editor from a remote computer. Also, verify that this error was not
caused by clicking Save Subtree As instead of Save Key as indicated in Step
5 in the previous section when saving registry information at the source
server.
10.     Exit Registry Editor.
11.     Start the DHCP Server service.
12.     Open the DHCP console and use Reconcile All Scopes to reconcile the
DHCP server database to the restored information now merged into the Windows
2000 registry.
                For more information, see To reconcile the DHCP database.
Note

Shawn Faulkingham MCSE, CCNA, MCDBA
Senior Network Engineer
Indoff Incorporated