[win2kforum] Re: Active Directory . . .

  • From: "L.W. Kramer" <lwkramer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:44:25 -0700

...Roaming Profiles continue to be supported for 9x and nt4 users in
essentially the  same way that NT4 servers work. profiles come from
Netlogon share on 2k server(s).
win2k profiles come from the sysvol share, as do group policies applied to
2k systems.
note that netlogon is now a shared subdir of the sysvol share, which means
that it is replicated along with the rest of the sysvol.

...Even for a small group, the 'luxury' of managing passwords in a single
location is probably worth the promotion of a 2k server to AD.  Much of the
value depends on whether the lan will be run as a centralized model
environment. If the users insist on peer to peer shares and the like,
plopping an AD controller in there will just confuse the issue. Think hard
about how you want to operate - procedurally, and from the usage
perspective, and then designate network components that support the model.
Do not attempt to impose a model on users - work from their requirements.

L.