[win2kforum] Re: Activation Key for Compaq Windows NT 3.51

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 22:07:49 -0700

  The only activation key I still have for 3.51 is for SERVER
and not workstation.  For the server version the key format is:

    xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxxx      (as in "12345-123-1234567")

and all of the digits are numbers (no letters at all).
  But it seems to me a waste.  NT 3.51 is pretty useless
unless you are just "into archeology".  You might be able to
find a use for it to do an upgrade to NT 4.0 - but to tell
you the truth I don't even remember if there was an upgrade
package from 3.51 to 4.0 (that was different from the 'normal'
NT 4.0 package I mean).  It is unlikely that you can upgrade
from 3.51 to Win2K ... does anyone know?  How's THAT for a
request for useless information!  ;-)
  I most certainly remember enough to speculate that you will
have "hardware issues" for 3.51 that should be almost
insurmountable unless you have a really old computer (such as a
P5-100 class).  NT 3.51 was a good operating system in its
time - but it's time is about as far gone as a tube radio.