[william_cala] Our Dear Friend in Kenya Passes Away

  • From: <wcala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: william_cala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:56:16 -0400

OUR DEAR KENYAN FRIEND PASSES

To see photos of William go here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/MO76FmJSumdGGa0cYjyneMR-5wuNPBdGZmjB-IPhrOE?feat=directlink

Today is a very sad day for all of us who worked with and have met William
Kabbis.  William was the principal of Mbaka Oromo Primary School in Maseno,
Kenya.  It was this school where Joanne and I first started our work in Kenya
back in 2005.  William’s death comes as a tremendous shock.  He was a young man
with a wife and three beautiful children and the fourth due to be born any day
now.  William had been experiencing problems created by an ulcer.  We left him
in February believing he was on the mend, however, his health rapidly
deteriorated in the past several weeks and his systems shut down.

William was a champion for his school and the children who graduated from Mbaka
Oromo.  Joining Hearts and Hands provides 10 to 15 high school scholarships to
Mbaka Oromo graduates each year.  William worked tirelessly helping us collect
report cards, letters and school fee bills from scores of his graduates each
semester.  He would do anything to facilitate the continued education of his
former students.  William was a true leader and devoted family man.

A couple of years ago the organization PALS  from Lansing, New York who have
contributed significantly to Mbaka Oromo, brought William to Rochester.
William spoke to Joining Hearts and Hands supporters in Perinton.  Everyone who
heard William was so moved by his passion for children and his complete
appreciation for the good people of the U.S.A. who have helped his school
community.

To see photos of William go here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/MO76FmJSumdGGa0cYjyneMR-5wuNPBdGZmjB-IPhrOE?feat=directlink

There are many of you on this list who traveled with us to Kenya over the
years.  Joanne and I made sure that you met this spectacular human being.  Our
hearts are so sad knowing that we will never hear is wonderful laugh again.

His wife Priscila is pregnant and due any day.  There are 3 other children as
well.  Unfortunately, the bread winner is with the angels.  Joining Hearts and
Hands has asked organizations that have worked with Mbaka Oromo to join hands
in supporting Priscila and her family through a new fund called the William
Kabbis Memorial Fund.

Donations are grateful accepted to help this beautiful family survive.

Checks can be made out to Reach the Children with William Kabbis Memorial Fund
in the memo line.

Please send to :

Reach The Children
14 Chesham Way
Fairport, NY  14450

Reach The Children has been one of our partners in our Africa work since 2005.

Thanks so much for your prayers for William’s family,

Sincerely,

Bill and Joanne Cala
Joining Hearts and Hands
9 Fieldston Grove