[whitmanpta] Weekly Update for Week of July 30, 2012 - August 3, 2012

  • From: "Whitman PTA" <whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 08:13:27 -0700

Dear Whitman Families and Friends,

Here are some activities and deals that may be of interest to you:

Reminder ? Whitman PTA Budget Committee

The next meeting will be at Whitman Elementary, meet us in the Kinder area
on August 6, 2012 at 2 pm.

Loaded backpacks for Low Income students

CCSA (Community Christian Service Agency) is distributing loaded backpacks
to children from low income families at their store front on Rappahannock
Street (across from Marston Middle School) from Monday, August 20 through
Friday, September 7.  For more information or to donate supplies contact the
center at 858-274-2271 or email them at llopex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Clairemont Family Day

Saturday, August 4, 8 am ? 4 pm

South Clairemont Rec Center

Come see classic cars, rides, and performers, a couple of Whitman Students
will be performing with the San Diego Civic Dance Arts Association.

For more info go to:

http://www.clairemontfamilyday.com/

Summer Fun Café

Don?t forget that Whitman Elementary and several rec centers are
participating in free lunch program for children 18 and under.  Go to
www.sandi.net/food and click on summer fun café for details.

On August 8, 11:30 am ? 12:30 pm the North Clairemont Rec Center on 4421
Bannock Street will be having their BBQ where parents accompanied by their
child can get a lunch too and you can get a bag of fruit/veggies.

Free Kids Haircuts in August at JCP

They are accepting appointments now!

http://courantblogs.com/savvy-shopper/free-kids-haircuts-at-jcp/

Summer Movie Express

See movies for $1/person, click on the link below for details:

http://www.regmovies.com/summermovieexpress/

The Our Children, Our Future education initiative has a new name:
Proposition 38.

Thanks to the help of so many of you, our members, the PTA-supported Our
Children, Our Future education initiative is now on the November ballot as
Proposition 38.

Prop 38 makes schools a priority again by guaranteeing billions of dollars
each year for education ? money that goes directly to every school based on
enrollment.

This means smaller class sizes and restored classes in subjects like art,
music, math, and science.

Sign up now to get involved and help us do something historic for our
children this November!

Prop 38 ? it's great for our children, and great for our schools!

Energy Challenge to Benefit Middle Schools ? do read on as younger kids can
participate!

This summer, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) is sponsoring the San Diego
Energy Challenge, an online game that encourages our community to conserve
energy. Through the San Diego Energy Challenge, San Diego Unified School
District (SDUSD) area residents are eligible to earn Reduce Your Use day
rewards by saving energy, while also earning points for the SDUSD middle
school of their choice. Even if you do not have a child attending a middle
school, you can still participate in the Energy Challenge if you live within
the boundaries of the SDUSD. This is a social and fun way to get everyone
working together to save energy.

It?s easy to get started:

Step 1:      Have your SDG&E® account number ready and sign up at
www.sdenergychallenge.com

Step 2:      Select the SDUSD Middle School of your choice

Step 3:      Save energy on a Reduce Your Use day

Step 4:      Click here to get energy conservation ideas:
www.sdge.com/summer

And, by saving energy on Reduce Your Use days from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., you'll
be rewarded with a credit on your SDG&E bill. For more information about
Reduce Your Use visit sdge.com/reduceuse.

The more energy you save, the more you can win! The San Diego Energy
Challenge will run from June through November 30th, and your school could
win big. The winning schools will split $30,000 and households can win
tablet computers and gift cards.

For more information, please contact:

Risa Baron           | (858) 654-1857   | rbaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeanne Runkle  | (858) 636-6847   | jrunkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whitman PTA hopes you are all having a fabulous summer, if you come across
any events or deals that you would like to share, drop us a line!

Whitman PTA

www.whitmanpta.com

whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(858) 863-6626