[whitmanpta] Madison Cluster Community Meeting Update

  • From: "Celeste Ozaki" <cbobryk-pta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 22:27:54 -0700

Dear Whitman Families and Friends,

Thank you to the families and staff that attended the Madison Cluster
Community meeting tonight where the main topic was on the issue on school
realignment.  Below is a link where you can find the same information
presented tonight.

http://sandi.net/Page/28790

Whitman Elementary is NOT shortlisted to be closed/realigned.  However, two
Madison Cluster area schools were initially recommended, Fields Elementary
and Sequoia Elementary.  Meeting attendees presented reasons why these
schools should stay open.  Currently the Committee that is in charge of
making recommendations to the school board do not have any recommendations
for any schools in the Madison cluster to be realigned or closed.  This is
good news but things can change if the Governor of California decides to
initiate the trigger (more on that in just a moment).

I, as a concerned parent (with a hearing loss and raising two children with
a hearing loss) and your PTA leader, asked area Superintendent, Marian
Phelps, if Whitman Elementary would ever make it the list and the answer is
NO as Whitman Elementary does provide a vital full service oral
communication to D/HH Students and the cost of considering realigning this
type of program to another area is simply not financially feasible for the
San Diego Unified School District.  In addition to providing this type of
program, Whitman Elementary is also pioneering in the areas of Science and
Technology through various partnerships as well as having Annie's Art School
and Music.  Between parents, staff, and school administration we can
demonstrate to the community that Whitman provides ample opportunity for a
well-rounded education.

In regards to what this "trigger" is.  California legislature can initiate
what they call a mid-year trigger (January 2012) should the state not meet
its projections in terms of revenues.  This will then trickle down to school
districts where they would be expected to make cuts in the middle of the
school year.  Superintendent Bill Kowba has written a letter to the Governor
of California that this type of action is fiscally impossible to implement
in the middle of the school year due to the substantial cuts the district
has already incurred, which included 1000 classified employees being still
laid off and the fact that payments to salaries cannot be halted due to
closed contracts with the union (meaning the district can't lay off any more
classified employees in the middle of the school year).  Unfortunately time
will only tell what will come of this and I will do my best to keep you all
informed.

Thank you again for those that showed their support of Whitman Elementary,
we were the second largest represented school at this meeting.  The next
Madison Cluster Meeting will be on November 14 at 5:30 pm in Room 101
(unless there is a turnout like tonight, it'll be moved to the auditorium).

Have a good evening,

Celeste L. Bobryk-Ozaki

Whitman PTA President