[whitmanpta] FW: Two critical Board of Education Meetings on VAPA funding

  • From: "Whitman PTA" <whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:44:44 -0800

Dear Whitman Families and Friends,

Please read below regarding funding of the VAPA in SDUSD.

Whitman PTA

<http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=vn6pm6iab&v=0014hlzXZJE_
jvaKAPk7DXj0g24LNOcgSdYUgTG9Gqa24h3uRMnwjOPicQjG1VszkRHbKfL_0gXvbb7kp8vhzTfm
lTlYJs9lDP5oFSxqcRgnVQykH4PnGhq9sv0hC7YbqawHJFr41A127eGeYIV_upK1u6y3WjNCndFr
4CHx5f0iLZnrSjuJN1sf2BYhAT9GTrp1Q9ZhGxDGN0cWpnVI_QZWJLGnmQwRJgz-wVeAnDERTUac
ddBbEIy3kplEsJuVAXM5mXqZ3mILmB0BwIoBiWhpd3IoXFg2xRy4lXiGwnMacNHNebJalgtDMitm
q3ySNjrsFMOR5Dm7yDa8BABuYtLrCUjUrtCEsGw>

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vn6pm6iab&et=1109124366300&s=81&e=001GqcMlhlU
USoCMJclgslUbueSxfOPrNzHx8ynG4Mt6Xu7ukwtHz6ECNSZbZkec4K6f6mY76UsCg07Ki9-CZkw
0PKrOLdPVRfLx1DqtCHjrtZJkXWa3GlxkQ==> San Diego Unified Council of PTA's
eBlast

  <http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/spacer.gif>

Music Instruction at Elementary Level at Risk

California State PTA believes visual and performing arts should be a basic
and integral part of a balanced curriculum for all students.

Next year, the budget for VAPA (Visual and Performing Arts) is to be cut by
50%, jeopardizing our school district's nationally-recognized instrumental
music education.

I'm forwarding a message from VAPA supporter and Community Council for Music
in the Schools co-chair, Ann Marie Haney, asking parents to contact their
board members to restore funding. This VAPA funding starts students on the
path of playing a musical instrument in elementary school. Without this
small level of support, orchestra and band classes could disappear in middle
and high school.

This funding affects every single elementary school. Please let your parents
know this item is on the agenda.

Barbara Flannery

President

A Message from Ann Marie Haney

CRITICAL BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS, TUESDAY JAN 24, 9:30 AM and 5:00  PM.

Dear School Music Supporters,

Tuesday, January 24 at the 9:30 AM budget meeting, Kevin Beiser and Shelia
Jackson have put Item A-4
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vn6pm6iab&et=1109124366300&s=81&e=001GqcMlhlU
USq-gQ1PO22Nwhm71H4ANfxrp_J2IDckMxLWqYnPIEw920eiMA5UQnv79u_9KDtpJeIIuzEDvDJZ
Te9-amN3S07f3HZO_M8V6E-ktFatl1w6nrSZyighjmeXLb7bV21jV_BbhR2dfHQSFZfhP_SlQq04
qRRCzSbUQIxVqI2Bm2x8ElgqSc1xGvU2>  on the agenda to restore the proposed
50%, 2012-13 reduction in VAPA with assets from the Mesa Fund (undesignated
funds).

We only need one more Board vote to approve restoring the proposed cuts and
save our elementary instrumental music teacher positions.

Board members need to receive a blitz of messages supporting the VAPA
restoration.

BOARD OF EDUCATION:

John Lee Evans, <mailto:johnleeevans@xxxxxxxxx?>  President

Scott Barnett, Vice President <mailto:scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Kevin Beiser <mailto:kevinbeiser@xxxxxxxxx>

Shelia <mailto:sheliajackson13@xxxxxxxxx>  Jackson

Richard Barrera <mailto:rbcoi@xxxxxxxxx>

We also need parents and community supporters to sign up to speak at the
9:30 am meeting in favor of the VAPA restoration. To sign up online, fill
out a Public Testimony Request Form
<http://www.sandi.net/cms/module/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?PageNumber=1&S
urveyID=128>  indicating support for agenda item A-4 or call (619)725-5550
to sign up.

Under Item H-1
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vn6pm6iab&et=1109124366300&s=81&e=001GqcMlhlU
USq-gQ1PO22Nwhm71H4ANfxrp_J2IDckMxLWqYnPIEw920eiMA5UQnv79u_9KDtpJeIIuzEDvDJZ
Te9-amN3S07f3HZO_M8V6E-ktFatl1w6nrSZyighjmeXLb7bV21jV_BbhR2dfHQSFZfhP_SlQq04
qRRCzSbUQIxVqI2Bm2x8ElgqSc1xGvU2>  at the 5:00 PM meeting, the District will
respond to the VAPA Tiger Team report presented to the Board in the fall.
The team recommended no reductions in the skeletal VAPA staff.  We need to
fill the auditorium with support for the Tiger Team recommendations. SIGN UP
TO SPEAK.  (As this item is the District's response to the report, don't
indicate support... we haven't seen their response).

Bring SAVE VAPA signs. I will have yellow SAVE MUSIC stickers.  We can't
take a chance on the results of the morning VAPA restoration proposal
because it will be too late to rally support.

Now is our chance to avoid the pain of months of uncertainty.  PLEASE TAKE
ACTION.  We have outstanding school bands and orchestras because through the
years the members of the Board of Education have repeatedly refused to
endorse proposed cuts.  The Board need visible community support.

Ann Marie Haney

Co-Chair

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vn6pm6iab&et=1109124366300&s=81&e=001GqcMlhlU
USoGQQjKCdTUY1veIghQL1Yn6SuDK9LjM2Xrj8WZJChEQxEGJaiEjxpMZNsldhDFv3oukrdyCVQy
aEE6bviOUrC56G6-LcwjZq27wz57eXDQFyEd9QwEYPxBPWi2uFG3wX6OoUQR2If5H8sQdhVjGwrh
IsUGX8FAGNyIROQHlNMZJA==> Community Council for Music in the Schools

  <http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/spacer.gif>

Forward email
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=vn6pm6iab&m=1109087745461&ea=
cbobryk-pta%40san.rr.com&a=1109124366300>

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=0019t5_FQazs5yqmzKlRNaSWTzvW
-NorhZb&t=001z0fXZQbYFrUfsnFGGS3ETg%3D%3D&llr=vn6pm6iab>

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_RSS_001>

This email was sent to cbobryk-pta@xxxxxxxxxx by sducpta@xxxxxxxxx |

Update Profile/Email Address
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=0019t5_FQazs5yqmzKlRNaSWTzvW
-NorhZb&t=001z0fXZQbYFrUfsnFGGS3ETg%3D%3D&llr=vn6pm6iab>  | Instant removal
with SafeUnsubscribe
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=0019t5_FQazs5yqmzKlRNaSWTzvW
-NorhZb&t=001z0fXZQbYFrUfsnFGGS3ETg%3D%3D&llr=vn6pm6iab> T | Privacy Policy
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp> .

San Diego Unified Council of PTA's | 2375 Congress Street | San Diego | CA |
92110

<http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?llr=vn6pm6iab&t=1109124366300.0.1109087745461.81&;
ts=S0716&o=http://ui.constantcontact.com/images/p1x1.gif>