[Westcott Radio] Lots of updates

  • From: Danny <danny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Westcott Radio Listserv" <westcottradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:40:15 -0500

First off, please note that everything on this listserv is archived on
Google.

I didn't realize that when I signed up, sorry.  I was just looking for a
non-commercial option to Yahoo groups, which we've used in the past and
which doesn't seem archived on Google.  *This is meant to be a discussion
list. * Please let me know your thoughts on all this.

Okay, now for the real updates.

Last night was one of the coolest nights we've ever had.  Matt, Hadin and
Greg come in every Wednesday night just before 10pm and do "Fetch The
Pliers" playing hardcore and punk.  They've had up to 15 people listening at
one time so far and lots of people downloading the archived shows.  Last
night was the first of their live music shows with Omnicidal System.    It
was crazy, as the drummer was in the bathroom, the guitarist and singer in
the foyer with mics everywhere.  Very tight space and crazy loud.   And all
live and recorded and Matt will be editing it into both a cleaned-up version
of the entire show and also a tracked version of their live set only.
Plus, they've already booked more bands for future shows.  Very, very cool.
: )

Steve just ordered new bulbs for the console board.  Imagine knowing if cd1
is actually on or off for a change, for example.  The main problem was just
figuring out the correct bulbs we needed.

I also just retrieved from Steve our other Shure mic and I'm working with
Matt to buy a new mic cord and springs for the mic booms.  The goal is to
have 2 working mics again on the springed booms that actually work properly,
go figure.  All this delayed maintenance has been adding up for awhile and I
apologize for how long its taking to get caught back up.  But we are getting
there!

Likewise, some of you have already noticed that I scraped off the back wall
and re-painted it with white paint (it was the only thing the Center had).
I also took out that free standing CD shelving unit, as it was clearly in
everyone's way.

Among other things, this is a race against time to get the Kids Club doing
meaningful things in our studio before they get out of school for the summer
and before the SU kids working with them disappear the first week of May.
My goal is to have them interview adults and then edit the raw audio into
solid programming.  I'm looking to have them think and act as journalists,
working towards "Westcott News" which can be a good project for them and the
neighborhood.  But we have to begin by beginning.

There are things going on with SCR as well, but I'll cover that using those
channels.

Thanks,
Danny