[webproducers] Re: Webcam server hosting?

  • From: Paul Seward <paul.seward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:12:14 -0400

Akamai is probably the best out there. But, they are expensive and usually
will not give you much time unless you are able to pay them a ton of cash.

Limelight is one of the up-and-coming companies. I hear good things about
them.

There are more and more companies offering these types of services now. I
did a fairly large scale video site back in mid '06 and we had to role our
own streaming server with Adobe's Media Server. I DO NOT recommend that. It
was very difficult to get installed (on Linux) and configured properly. I
spent the better part of a week installing and configuring the server (I
consider my self pretty strong in *NIX administration). And, we still could
not get the port binding to work. Of course, the adobe documentation was
ridiculously weak.

Check out this list. You can click on the logos for each co. web page.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/fvss/

Hope this helps.

Paul

On 6/26/08 2:55 PM, "Ryan Champagne" <ryanpchampagne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I just got a request to do some online streaming video for a website. There
> will be about 20 cameras all streaming content and the site will need to be
> able to handle at least 500 users simultaneously viewing the content.
> Bandwidth and video quality issues aside, are there any services out there
> that can host such content? I would rather direct such demands (especially
> as the traffic increases) to a third party rather than trying maintain the
> hardware and network infrastructure.
>
> Question numero dos... Are there any secure streaming video services out
> there?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Ryan
>

> --
> Check out the Web Producers Job Board http://jobs.webproducers.org
>
> Messages are archived in our publicly accessible web archive. Trim your posts
> and delete personal information if you do not want them in the public web
> archive.

> e-mail)
>
> Manage your subscripton (digest, vacation mode, unsubscribe) at
> http://webproducers.org/join.html

Paul Seward
THE MARTIN AGENCY | Sr. Interactive Application Engineer | P 804.698.8392 |
F 804.698.8205