[wdmaudiodev] Re: Windows Media 9

  • From: "Van Mieghem, Dirk" <dvm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:19:33 +0200

Hello Martin,
good to hear from you again :)

It isn't clear to me why KMixer needs to be inserted/deleted on the fly in
all cases. I agree that there's no other choice if the hardware exposes a
single instance render pin but what if the hardware supports multiple
instances? Isn't the decision to insert KMixer dependent on a particular
instance then? All of this is currently possible with KMixer and
applications bypassing KMixer. If for instance Sonar is using our hardware
then we can still support KMixer at the same time because the render pin
supports multiple clients, even different API's (legacy MME, ASIO and GSIF).

Actually, all of this would be a moot point if every possible scenario would
work correctly in KMixer but in reality, it doesn't. Even if we want to do
something about it, we usually can't, because the miniport driver is
extremely dumb in the current model.

Personally, I thought WDM/KS would bring very low latency render/capture
devices to user-mode DirectShow but some critical requirements are still
missing...that's another discussion though.

Thanks,
Dirk