[wdmaudiodev] Wav file format tags

  • From: "Dean, James" <James.Dean@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:54:45 -0400

The most recent update to the multimedia standards is
version 3.0 released in April 1994, and lists definitions
for roughly 40 types of wave audio data. (refer to
riffnew.doc in mdrk.exe q120253)

The most recent version of mmreg.h I can find is version 1.57
and it lists more than 120 format types, HOWEVER, my recent
installation of win2k doesn't recognize many of them--even format
tags that windows 98 knows about! (BTW-the media information summary
under file properties in win2k is crappy-not nearly as useful as the
service under win98-the preview is missing too).

Are there any documentation for the remaining types defined since
early 1994?  I need the data formats "byte-by-byte" for a number
of new the wave_format types that look promising for new audio
codecs. These are *supposed* to be supplied to Microsoft as part
of the registration process (which doesn't seem to be available
anymore).

Regards,
James Dean
National Research Council