[wdmaudiodev] Re: PC Audio Capture

  • From: Sushma <sushma.yella@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:21:43 +0530

Thanks for the replies.

> That suggests a misunderstanding or misconfiguration on your part.  You
> should be getting the audio in its final form before it goes to the
> sound card.

I'll try out and see if I'm missing any configuration.

> One option is to use a virtual audio device, like the one here:
>    http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html
> This creates a new audio device which applications can write to.  The
> output of that virtual device is inside an application, which can do
> whatever it wants, including forwarding the audio on to real hardware.

If i use a virtual audio device how do i redirect the data coming from
application (say a Media Player) to virtual audio. Do i need to select
the default audio as the newly created virtual audio. This is not
accepted by many users.

Lets say if I achieve this, how do i forward the data to real hardware
from virtual audio.

> Pre-Vista, it is possible to insert an audio class upper filter to
> intercept the kernel streaming ioctls.  It is surprisingly difficult in
> that situation to figure out what format the audio is in every case, so
> plan some frustrating test time.
>
> For WAVERT devices in Vista and later, this simply cannot be done.  The
> audio engine in user-mode writes the data directly to the DMA buffer --
> there are no kernel requests to intercept.

I had run the total recorder application. The total recording
application installs a audio class upper filter for XP and Vista. How
is this possible in Vista when app is directly writing to DMA buffer?

Regards,
Sushma