[wdmaudiodev] Re: Mixer compatibility under Vista

  • From: Andrew Elder <aelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:15:04 -0400

Frank,

Thanks for the comments. We will try some further tracing as you suggest.

The reason we have stuck with the "drivers32" and mixerXXXX interface is that we have audio cards that get used for Radio Station automation. As an example, our "legacy" type mixer exposes a mixer containing 12 Play nodes connected to 4 Line Out nodes with 48 volumes in between. Any Play node can be configured to send audio to any Line Out at an adjustable volume.

If we were to map the same configuration to WDM, because of the way the mixer emulation is implemented, we would end up with 12 mixers (one per render pin) showing 4 outputs and each of the 12 mixers would show all 12 "plays" and have 48 volumes. Its a nightmare ! Our customers would have no easy way to move their software to this new architecture. If I misunderstand something here, I would appreciate being enlightened.

We do have WDM drivers that do not use "drivers32", but there are not nearly as capable as our "legacy" drivers.

- Andrew

Frank Yerrace wrote:

The compatibility mode wouldn't affect this kind of driver.

For the last couple releases of Windows, we had hoped to remove support for these kinds
of drivers- those loaded via "drivers32" registry entries. There are fewer and
fewer reasons to implement such a driver. Nonetheless, the support is still there in
Vista, but our test efforts aren't focused in this area.

Have you traced any messages through your mxdMessage entry point?

As usual, I'm curious to know what sort of product requires this kind of driver.

Frank Yerrace
Microsoft Corporation