[wdmaudiodev] Re: Methodology to use TDI client from audio driver

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 09:50:29 -0700

anshul makkar wrote:

> I have developed virtual audio driver which will transfer the captured
> audio to the network using TDI driver. This is the architectural
> design principle that I am following.

> But here I am little confused regarding the implementation approach
> that I should adopt.
>

> 1)      TDI client is a full fledged driver. Should I integrate its
> code in my audio driver (Like functions TDI_OpenConnection,
> TDI_Connect) and make one driver containing the functionality of both
> audio and TDI client driver.
>
> 2)      Like the approach the sample follows , passing IOCTL from TDI
> application to TDI driver for any operation viz connect, send,
> receive, I should load the TDI client driver from audio driver and
> then pass the IRPs from the audio driver to the TDI client driver
> containing the required operation code..
>

> I am confused as to which approach I should follow.
>

> Please give some ideas regarding the feasibility and efficiency of the
> above two approaches.

Both approaches are feasible, and the difference in efficiency is going
to be negligible.  Really, you should follow the approach that makes the
most sense to you.  If your TDI client is up and running and has a
well-defined interface that you can fetch from your audio driver, then
that's probably the most reliable solution.  If your client is
architected in such a way that it's easy to unbolt the "lower half" and
bolt it into the audio driver, then that's also a workable solution.