[wakeup] First Wake Up Newsletter

  • From: young monastics <wkupnow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wakeup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:18:45 +0200

         22, September, 2010         First Wake Up newsletter

Welcome, this is the first Wake Up newsletter! We are very pleased to inform
you of upcoming events and give you some extra information about what is
going on with Wake Up. We added your email address to this mailing list,
because you have been in contact with Wake Up. It is not our intention to
sent spam to you , so you can unsubscribe from this mailing list by sending
an email to wakeup-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject.
 Wake Up retreat 6 - 10 October - EIAB - All you need is True Love

This autumn we will have an other very cool Wake Up retreat in the EIAB with
the topic: All you need is True Love. Each day of this Wake Up Retreat will
learn about one of the treasures of True Love - while breathing, lying,
sitting, walking, eating, playing. As True Love is the foundation of the
practice, we would like to go more in-depth about: loving kindness and
friendship, compassion and understanding, nourishment and healing,
equanimity, inclusiveness and joy.
So register today if you have not done that already and we hope to see you
there!
wake-up-retreat-oct-2010-word-doc <http://bit.ly/diiby6>

Together with young EIAB monastics and WakeUppers from all over Europe we
will plant our "True Love Trees" (Wake Up Tree Foundation).

With True Love,
with brotherhood and sisterhood
there is nothing we can't do!

All you need is True Love, Brother.
All you need is True Love, Sister.

Let`s wake up to True Love.
We are rich men.
Let`s return home
to accept and share our treasures.

The treasure of loving-kindness.
The treasure of compassion.
The treasure of joy.
The treasure of inclusiveness.*
*Loving Kindness, Compassion, Joy and Inclusiveness are the 4 elements of
True Love.
Please mail to: wkupeu@xxxxxxxxx for carpool requests and offers.
 Wake Up retreat 15 - 17 october - UK - Quake Up!

We are delighted to tell you that this October Wake Up, the Young Quakers
and the World Community of Christian Meditation (WCCM) will come together
for a weekend to share being young and meditative at the beautiful Hampstead
Friends Meeting House in North-West London.
The Quakers are a Christian group founded in the C17th who worship in
silence and are deeply committed to social activism. The Young Quakers hold
regular 'General Meetings' where they come together to worship, discuss the
spiritual life, and have fun.
The WCCM was founded by a Benedictine monk called Father John Main and are
now under the leadership of another - Father Lawrence Freeman. They practice
meditation using the Christian mantra 'Maranatha' which is Aramaic for
'Lord, come'. They've got a vibrant and active community of young people
interested in Christian contemplation.
We'll incorporate a range of practices and activities from each tradition
alongside times to share about our experiences and to have some fun!
Included in the 'invitation' file below are all the details.
Absolutely anyone is welcome. Whatever kind of Christian, Buddhist or
anything else you are then we'd love you to be there!
Please register <http://scr.bi/arUu3f> before 8 October
Any questions, send them our way: wkupuk@xxxxxxxxx

Much love,
Wake Up, the Young Quakers and the WCCM
 Winter retreat Plum Village 26 November 2010 - 26 February 2011

Summer is now at an end and autumn is coming, so we might not want to think
about winter yet. But this winter there will be a winter retreat again in
Plum Village. A time to spent on your practice, which in the last 2600 years
has been the custom during the rainseason. Last year there where many young
people present (more than 50%) and that will probably be even more this
year.
Now that Thay is still around and still gives Dharma talks it would be a
very beautiful chance to spent this time together with Thay, the sangha and
all the young people. It really looks like this will be a very special
retreat.
The retreat starts at 26 November 2010 and ends at 26 February 2011, during
this period you can come in periods of one week, so for example 1,2,3,..
weeks, but it would be even much cooler to stay for the whole period. For
young people who stay for a longer period a discount of 50% or more is
possible.
For more information see the Plum Village website <http://bit.ly/9lXOiJ>
 5 Year monastic program

Many young people came to Plum Village since many years and found more depth
and direction in their lives. The practice goes well and Plum Village soon
became like a second home. With some of the young people the aspiration to
become a monastics was watered, but it is a big step to do this for your
whole life.
Thich Nhat Hanh announced this summer in the Nottingham retreat in the UK
that the young people in the wake up movement have the opportunity to serve
people as a monastic for the period of 5 year. In the 5 year as a monastic
they are trained exactly as a monastic. And after the training of 5 year,
they can if they want continue as a monastic and if not they can become a
lay Dharma teacher. Thay said that this training could be seen a study,
where you will benefit from during your whole life. The monastics are now
busy with creating a program, but is seems that there will be good support
and that Plum Village will become more and more a refuge for young people; a
sort of youth retreat during the whole year.

Wake Up: Young Buddhists and non-Buddhists for a Healthy & Compassionate
Society

We're an international community of young people who want to heal and
transform our world.
We know that each one of us can live in an awakened way, in harmony with one
another and with the earth.

Find out about meditation retreats and get-togethers in your region:
UK - wkupuk@xxxxxxxxx • France - wkupfr@xxxxxxxxx • Belgium -
wkupbe@xxxxxxxxx • Norway - wkupno@xxxxxxxxx • Holland - wkupnl@xxxxxxxxx •
Denmark - wkupdk@xxxxxxxxx • Switzerland - wkupch@xxxxxxxxx • Germany -
wkupde@xxxxxxxxx • Ireland - wkupie@xxxxxxxxx • Spain - wkupes@xxxxxxxxx •