[WADNet Post] May 9, 2006: General News

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:00:08 -0500

GENERAL NEWS
-- May 12: Governor's WTRS Advisory Council Meeting
-- Jun 2: PIE 10th Anniversary Party
-- Jun 10: St. Louis Six Flags Deaf Awareness Day
-- Jun 16: Baseball Game - Brewers vs. Redskins at Miller Park
-- Jun 23, Jun 24, Jul 7 & Jul 8: Listening Sessions and Presentations
-- Jul 30: WTRS Annual Picnic
-- Aug 12: LaCrosse Social Deaf Club Picnic
-- Aug 19: Deaf Picnic in Darien, WI
-- Sep 10-22: Helen Keller National Center Senior Adult Program I
-- Oct 2-13: Helen Keller National Center Senior Adult Program II
-- Oct 14-21: Deaf Cruise
-- Deaf Dog in need of a Loving Home
-- WTV Selected One of Top 20 Projects of 2005 by Wisconsin Builder Magazine
-- UPDATE: WSD Class Reunion for '76, '77, '78
-- Deaf Coffee Chats Information
-- Free Fire Alarms: Updated Information
-- ABC News Online Article - Early Sign Language for Babies

2007 Events
-- Apr 19-22: Deaf Bowling Tournament Hosted by GMAD ** May 6 Early Combo Deadline **
-- Apr 28: Deaf Cruise - Eastern Caribbean, 8 Days
May 12: Governor's WTRS Advisory Council Meeting

The next Governor's Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay System (WTRS) Advisory Council meeting will be on May 12, 2006 in Middleton, from 10 AM to 2 PM. The location of the meeting will be in Western Trade Center Building, which is on 8401 Green Blvd in Middleton. The meeting room will be in the Monona Conference Room. Interpreters and Real Time Captioning are available during the meeting.

(Contributed by: Jack Cassell, WADNet Reader)

Jun 2: PIE 10th Anniversary Party

Please Join Us And Celebrate!
Everyone is Welcome!
PIE's 10th Anniversary Party

When: Friday June 2nd

Time: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Where: PIE Office
6510 W. Layton Ave., Suite 2
Greenfield, WI 53220

Stop in and enjoy refreshments & door prizes!!
Door prizes are not Milwaukee Specific and can be used around the state.

Please RSVP by May 26th to PIE:
Email: pieinc@xxxxxxx
Phone: 414-282-8115 / 888-801-9393
VP: 69.11.237.115

(Contributed by: PIE Office, PIE)

Jun 10: St. Louis Six Flags Deaf Awareness Day

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Awareness Day at Six Flags St. Louis

WHERE:
Six Flags St. Louis in Eureka, Missouri
WHEN:
June 10, 2006
TIME:
Open at 10:00am till 12 Midnight closing
INCLUDES:
Water Park and Shows
TICKET PRICE:
$30.99

SPREAD THE WORD!

(Contributed by: Lori Besaw, Green Bay Deaf Club)

Jun 16: Baseball Game - Brewers vs. Redskins at Miller Park

American Family Insurance Brewers Fleece Blanket will be given to the first 10,000 adults 18 years and older.

Game Time: 7:05
Date: 06/16/06
Ticket Cost : $15.00
Tailgate Party Cost: $6.00
Shuttle Ride to Stadium: $1.00 (Park free at Kelly's Bleachers and ride shuttle to stadium for only $1)
Deadline: May 26, 2006

Kelly’s Bleacher Tailgate Party
4:30 — Tailgate Party Starts at Kelly’s (Please arrive early for good parking)
5:30 — Shuttle to the game
7:05 — Game Starts
Tailgate Menu: (all you can eat)
Bratwurst, Hotdogs, Baked Beans, Potatoes Salad, Potatoes Chips, and Relish Tray.
Drinks separate (pay your own)
Free Parking—Shuttle $1.00

*** DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: MAY 26, 2006 ***

Contact:
Vaughn Hallada at whallada@xxxxxxxxx

OR

Margaret Calteaux at mcalteaux@xxxxxxxxx

to get signup form and mail it back with payment BY MAY 26, 2006.

(Contributed by: Margaret Calteaux, WADNet Reader)

Jun 23, Jun 24, Jul 7 & Jul 8: Listening Sessions and Presentations

SAVE THE DATES!!

Bureau of Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services presents:

“Meeting the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Needs of Deaf & Hard of Hearing People” with Steve Hamerdinger

“Substance Abuse Services for Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing people in Wisconsin” with Denise Johnson

Have you ever used mental health or substance abuse services?
What was your experience like?
What do you think about these services and what kind of services do you want?

WHAT: 4 listening sessions and presentations about Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.

WHEN AND WHERE:

MADISON
JUNE 23
2:00 -9:00 pm
American Family Auditorium
6000 American Parkway
Madison

MILWAUKEE
JUNE 24
2:00-9:00 pm
Location TBA

MENASHA
JULY 7
1:30-8:30 pm
Goodwill Building
1800 Appleton Road
Menasha

LA CROSSE
JULY 8
2:00-9:00 pm
Southside Senior Center
1220 Denton Street
La Crosse

PROGRAM:

• Steve Hamerdinger* will talk about mental health, mental health services, substance abuse, attitudes about mental health and services, and your rights to good mental health and substance abuse services.
• Pizza supper
• Denise Johnson will talk about substance abuse services in Wisconsin.
• Consumer feedback: YOU tell us about YOUR experiences with mental health and substance services and what kind of services are important to you
• Entertainment.

***We will provide ASL interpreters, DeafBlind Interpreters, and Braille surveys.
We will provide real time captioning for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, and late deafened but do not use sign language. Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs) will also be available for those wishing to use that equipment..***

MORE INFORMATION SOON! ATTEND A LISTENING SESSION NEAR YOU, YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

*Who is Steve Hamerdinger???
Steve Hamerdinger, Director of the Office of Deaf Services, Alabama Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation is a nationally recognized expert on deafness and mental health. Before going to Alabama in January, 2003, he was Director of the Office of Deaf and Linguistic Support Services at the Missouri Department of Mental.
Mr. Hamerdinger is a clinician who is Deaf, and has written many articles on deafness and mental health. He has been associated with the deaf rights movement since the early 1980’s and has been a leader in the field of deafness and mental health since the early 90’s. He previously presented at the Wisconsin Association of the Deaf Biennial conference in 2001 to a standing room audience only; as word of mouth spread throughout the conference, participants began requesting a repeat workshop.

Currently the President of the American Deafness and Rehabilitation Association, an organization of professionals networking together for excellence in service delivery to individuals who are Deaf or hard of hearing, Steve has been appointed to many boards and task forces. Recently appointed to the Alabama Governor’s Commission on Disability, he has also chaired the Olathe (Kansas) Disabled Person’s Advisory Board and served on the Kansas Mental Health and Deafness Task Force, the Missouri State Task Force on Deaf Education, the Missouri Board of Certification of Interpreters, and the Missouri Supreme Court Commission on Courts and the Disabled.

Who is Denise Johnson???
Denise has served as the Project Coordinator for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (AODA) Services for the Deaf, Deaf-Blind and Hard of Hearing at IndependenceFirst for 3 1/2 years. She previously worked at DePaul Hospital (Keystone Residential AODA and Mental Health Program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

Denise serves as a member of the Milwaukee Older Adult Mental Health Substance Abuse Providers Association and the State Council on AODA Diversity Sub-Committee.

About IndependenceFirst:

Mission:
IndependenceFirst is a non-profit agency directed by, and for the benefit of, persons with disabilities, primarily serving the four county metropolitan Milwaukee area. Our agency mission is to effectively facilitate empowerment of individuals with disabilities through:

Education, Advocacy, Independent Living Services, and Coalition Building

We promote diversity and multicultural participation in our operation and services.

The four “core” services offered are: independent living skills training, peer counseling, advocacy, and information and referral services to persons with disabilities in the counties of Waukesha, Washington, Ozaukee, and Milwaukee. IndependenceFirst provides services to persons with disabilities of ALL kinds, throughout ALL age groups.

Vision:
IndependenceFirst has a vision for full inclusion of persons with disabilities in all aspects of the community and commits itself to this end.

About the Bureau of Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services:

Vision Statement:
We envision a society in which all persons have optimal physical and mental health; where mental health, substance abuse, dependency and addiction are recognized as health issues; and where stigma and other barriers to recovery are eliminated.

Mission Statement:
The Bureau of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services’ mission is to support and improve the quality and effectiveness of mental health and substance abuse services in order to create a recovery-focused system for the people of Wisconsin.

Values Statement & Guiding Principles
We embrace the guiding principles of investing for results & outcomes, changing attitudes, building partnerships, committing to quality and working on a common goal to assure that there will be access to individualized treatment and recovery. We will do this by treating people with respect and dignity, through services that--emphasize hope & optimism, are family and consumer-centered, are strength and recovery-based, are culturally competent & culturally affirmative. Community values are embraced, consumer involvement is expected, self-determination is respected and support services are designed to meet the needs of the individual. We view mental health and substance use disorder as disciplines that are distinct and at the same time need to work together to assure seamless and integrated services to individuals. We value a competent workforce and endorse both promising and evidence-based practices in the service delivery system.

(Contributed by: Linda Russell, Bureau of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services)

Jul 30: WTRS Annual Picnic

Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay System (WTRS) Annual Picnic

WTRS is happy to announce that the 14th Annual Picnic will be held July 30 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m at Warner Park in Madison, WI.

Through the picnic, WTRS expresses sincere thanks to our Wisconsin customers for using Wisconsin Relay Service. Last year, over 600 people attended our picnic, and we look forward to seeing all of you again.

As always, there will be FREE Food, Beverages, Games, Activities and DOOR PRIZES!

Please make plans to attend with family and friends, the 14th Annual WTRS Picnic on July 30, 2006!

For more information, please call WTRS Customer Service at 1-800-283-9877 (TTY) or 1-800-395-9877 (voice). We can also be reached through email at wirelay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Contributed by: Joe Riggio, Hamilton Relay)

Aug 12: LaCrosse Social Deaf Club Picnic

Lacrosse Social Deaf Club will have picnic on Aug 12th

When: August 12, 2006
Where: Copeland Park
Copeland Park Drive
La Crosse, WI
Time: Noon ~ 8pm
Admission:
Adults ~ $5.00
Senior Citizen ~ $4.50
Kids age 11-17 ~ $3.00
Under age 11 ~ Free

Please bring your own lawn chairs.
We provide meats, buns, soda, & water.
Please pass your dish to share.

Contact : AndersonJ500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Contributed by: Jean Anderson, WADNet Reader)

Aug 19: Deaf Picnic in Darien, WI

Hosted by FOUR Deaf Clubs:
SLAD, MAD, Racine-Kenosha Club of the Deaf, GMAD

WHEN: August 19, 2006
TIME: 10am - 8pm
PLACE: Darien West Side Park, 355 W. Madison Street, Darien

Food and beer will be sold
Shelter provided - come rain or shine!
Playground & Baseball Fields
Sand Volleyball and Horseshoes
Door Prizes

For flyer with map and directions: http://www.wi-deaf.org/chapters/slad

(Contributed by: Dean Kelly and Ryan Kelly, Deaf Reps for the picnic)

Sep 10-22: Helen Keller National Center Senior Adult Program I

Senior Adult Program I for September 10-22, 2006. This is a two week program for seniors, age 55 and better, who are experiencing vision and hearing loss and use speech/hearing as their primary means of communication.

Interested individuals have asked about funding possibilities. Each state has a Title VII, Chapter 2 (Older Blind Grant) program manager. In the past, they have been very good about funding consumers for the program. Additionally,
civic organizations such as Lions, Sertoma, Eagles, and churches might cost share the expenses.

Feel free to contact Paige Berry, Coordinator of HKNC's Older Adult Program at: hkncpaigeoap@xxxxxxx or

Dora Carney, HKNC Admissions Coordinator at: drchknc@xxxxxxx if there are any questions.

Thank you.

Laura J. Thomas, MA
Regional Representative
North Central Region
Helen Keller National Center
485 Avenue of the Cities, Suite 5
East Moline, IL 61244-4040
309-755-0018 TTY and Videophone
309-755-0021 TTY
309-755-0025 Fax
HKNC5LJT@xxxxxxx
http://www.hknc.org/

(Contributed by: Alice Sykora, WADNet Reader)

Oct 2-13: Helen Keller National Center Senior Adult Program II

Senior Adult Program II for October 2-13, 2006. This is a two week program specificially designed for seniors, age 55 and better, who are Deaf-blind or Deaf/Visually Impaired and use American Sign Language (ASL) as their primary
means of communication. This is a first time for this specific group of seniors and HKNC is very excited about this.

[...]

Oct 14-21: Deaf Cruise

We are announcing our next cruise travel will be on October 14-21, 2006 (which is this Fall!!). We will be sailing from Miami, FL going to 3 different islands for 7 days on the cruise. We will be stopping by Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, Jamaica! If you are interested to have more information, or check that website: http://www.cruisesunlimited.com/deaf_cruise/teter_2006.pdf

If you have any more questions, just drop a email to us.

Spread the words with your friends & families!

Hope to see you there!

Jody & Matt
GT Deaf Cruise Group Leaders
gtdeafcruise@xxxxxxxxxxx

(Contributed by: Jody Gertken-Teter, WADNet Reader)

Deaf Dog in need of a Loving Home

Gypsy, 11 year old, Deaf, Beagle in need of a loving adoptive family. Previous owner has passed away. Gypsy is currently staying with a Wisconsin foster family for a beagle rescue group. Current foster mom is an interpreter and is working to develop sign and gesture communication with Gypsy. Gypsy is responding very well!! Gypsy's foster mom would really like to see Gypsy get adopted by a person/family that knows sign and will be able to continue visual communication with her. Gypsy's personally has been so positively affected by just a few signs and gestures!!
For being 11 years old Gypsy is in wonderful health and gets along great with the current family dog, cats and kids in the neighborhood. She loves to walk, romp in the yard and take long naps. A wonderful cuddler and great dog to have in a family.

For more information and a picture please visit www.brewbeagles.org, Available Beagles, and then Mid-west section. Also feel free to e-mail for more information at midwest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you.

(Contributed by: Kate Block, WADNet Reader)

WTV Selected One of Top 20 Projects of 2005 by Wisconsin Builder Magazine
Originally published in the May 2006 issue of Wisconsin Builder Magazine.

We're very excited and pleased to share this news with you!

Click the link to view the article:
http://www.wibuilder.com/wb-may-06/water-tower.html

(Contributed by: Katie Voss, Cardinal Capital Management)

UPDATE: WSD Class Reunion for '76, '77, '78

We are looking for the mailing addresses for Class reunion for Class of ' 76, ' 77 &' 78 from Wisconsin School for the Deaf in Delavan, WI.
PLEASE email to this address: mchonjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx OR pschenning@xxxxxxxxx

We are on the reunion committee and we need to send out invitations for our class reunion for Fall of 2007.

We are especially looking for:

Class 1976:
Kurt Fabish
Jacqueline Fuchs
Linda Schoebel
Scott Schoenfeld
Debbie Sterletske
Ona Stewart
Brenda Williams
Gorgeen Spyhalski - Sponsor

Class 1977:
David Dorn
Larry Gerou
Michael Maxwell
Martin Prust
Steve Siekierke
Wendy (Suda) Herrera
Thomas Wiggert
Debbie Kamoske - Sponsor
Teri McIntosh - Sponsor

Class 1978:
Joseph Hadley
Michael Rickert
Dean Schultz
David Simons
Mike O'Neil
Susan (Zehner) Wallace - Sponsor

Again, you can contact us at mchonjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx OR pschenning@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your help!
Jeananne Mchone and Cathy Schenning
Reunion Committee

(Contributed by: Cathy Schenning, WADNet Reader)

Deaf Coffee Chats Information

Deaf Coffee Chat socials have been spreading across the US. We have them in Wisconsin, too.

These are just casual socials held at coffeehouses (often Starbucks) on weekday evenings or weekend mornings, once or twice each month. Stop in, grab a cup of java, and enjoy a relaxing chat with friends!

To find one year you, go to http://www.deafcoffee.com and select your state, then find the city nearest you.

Enjoy!

(Contributed by: Craig Savka, WADNet Reader)

Free Fire Alarms: Updated Information

For the free smoke alarm the grant has strict guidelines for a free smoke alarm.

To learn more go to www.safehousecampaign.com/application.php

Here are the guidelines

Number in Family and yearly gross income

1
$14,700

2
$19,800

3
$24,900

4
$30,000

5
$35,100

6
$40,200

7
$45,300

8
$50,400

(Contributed by: Denise Pulfer, WADNet Reader)

ABC News Online Article - Early Sign Language for Babies

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1657862&page=1

(Contributed by: SLAD Club)

2007 EVENTS
Apr 19-22: Deaf Bowling Tournament Hosted by GMAD ** May 6 Early Combo Deadline **

Milwaukee Deaf Bowling Assocation will host GLDBA 2007 in Milwaukee

*** Early Combo Price: $25.00 until MAY 6, 2006. ***

Thursday, April 19, 2007
T.B.A.
See separate flyer in the near future

Friday, April 20, 2007
Herman Cahen Championship
A.M.F. West Allis Lanes 9:00 a.m.

Lillian Ellis Kernz Queens
West Lanes 9:00am

Senior Master
West Lanes 10:00 a.m.

GLDBA/GLDWBA CAPTAINS’ Meeting
Four Points Hotel Sheraton 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, April 21, 2007
GLDBA Singles / Doubles Events
A.M.F. West Allis Lanes 8:00 a.m.

GLDWBA Singles/Doubles Events
West Lanes 8:00a.m.

Grand Ball Room Hotel
7:00p.m. @ Four Points by Sheraton

Sunday, April 22, 2007
GLDBA Team Events
A.M.F. West Allis Lanes 10:00 am

GLDWBA Team Event
West Lanes 10:00a.m.

Hotel Headquarters:
Four Points by Sheraton • 4747 South Howell Avenue • Milwaukee, WI 53207

For General Information and Flyer:
GLDBA Chairperson
Contact: David Letkiewicz
W201 N11402 Oakview Avenue
Germantown, WI 53022
TTY: 262 - 251- 8623
VP: 262 - 277 - 4000
E-Mail: Dletkiewicz@xxxxxxxxx

For Entry Forms to GLDBA Bowling
Contact Michael Jasko, GLDBA Secretary-Treasurer
14181 Pine Lakes Drive
Strongsville, OH 44136
TTY: 440 -572 -0294
Fax: 440 -572 -6580
E-mail: gldbastjasko@xxxxxxx

For Entry Forms to GLDWBA Bowling:
Contact Karen Hager, Secretary - Treasurer
215 E. Churchhill Court
Round Lake Beach, IL 60073
TTY & FAX 847-265 -5358
E- mail gldwbasthager@xxxxxxx

Web (not yet updated): http://www.gldba-gldwba.org

(Contributed by: David Letkiewicz and MDBA Head Committees)

Apr 28: Deaf Cruise - Eastern Caribbean, 8 Days

Hello everyone!

How would you like to take a break from the winter blahs and get a head start on summer? Then join me on the 8-day “Cruisin’ the Caribbean 2007” cruise!

We will depart from Fort Lauderdale, FL on April 28, 2007 – visit the ports of San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, USVI; Antigua; Tortola, BVI; and Nassau, Bahamas. We’ll be sailing the brand new Carnival ship, “Liberty”.

Rates are as follows (per person, based on double occupancy):
Inside Cabin (no window) -- $942.33 + air
Ocean View Cabin (with window) -- $1092.33 + air
Balcony Cabin (with window & small patio) -- $1222.33 + air
(Please contact me if more than 2 people will be sharing a room – can go up to 4 people per room)

There is still plenty of room available! Children are welcome! Hearing are welcome as well!

SIGNUP DEADLINES:
The first date, which was the deposit of $50 per person, was October 14, 2005*.
The second deposit is due July 18, 2006, of a minimum of $300 per person.
The final payment is January 23, 2007.

There are still plenty of cabins available, which is why I am telling you to come on and sign up. You can send payments in however often you want – I have people that are sending in payments weekly and every other week, to coincide with their work paychecks.

*IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO SIGN UP! Just e-mail me, Kim Drake, at kimdeaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have designed a website that talks more about this cruise – http://kimdeaf.tripod.com or you can e-mail me if you have more questions.

Hope to see you on the cruise!

Kim Drake, Group Leader
Fort Wayne, Indiana
kimdeaf@xxxxxxxxxxx

(Contributed by: Kim Drake, WADNet Reader)

IF YOU ARE CHANGING EMAIL ADDRESSES, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE TWO STEPS:

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.