[WADNet Post] May 22, 2006: Gallaudet University News

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 23:30:45 -0500

Gallaudet University News
-- Memo from the Board of Trustees
Memo from the Board of Trustees

May 19, 2006

MEMORANDUM
TO: Gallaudet Community
FR: Brenda Brueggemann, Acting Chair, Board of Trustees
RE: Beginning to Address the Concerns We Heard

As we move forward from the events of these past weeks and continue to focus on the future, we wanted to bring you up to date on several important steps the Board, the president and the president select are taking. We appreciated the time you gave to meet with us last week as well as the honest feedback and insights you shared with us. We heard many important things that will be addressed immediately and in the future and we want you to know we take very seriously the issues you brought to us. We have heard your concerns and we are already acting on them. This Board of Trustees, like most college Boards, primarily plays an oversight and policy-making role for the campus. In this role we do not want to interfere, but rather empower, the president, the president-select and the campus community itself to take primary actions on its own expressed concerns and issues.

First, the Board is making plans to hold a one-day retreat devoted to follow-up on these dialogues that would take place either this summer (preferable) or in conjunction with our October regular Board of Trustees meeting. Here is a summary of our discussions and actions so far:

* No reprisals:

Neither the Board nor the president nor the president-select will tolerate any reprisals for anyone who has voiced their opinions in protest or support, on campus or in the community, in writing (electronic or paper) or through direct conversations during the presidential search process and the weeks between the announcement of Dr. Fernandes’ appointment and Commencement.

* Diversity:

President-select Jane Fernandes will head up a blue ribbon committee to find strategies to address the diversity issues facing our campus; the committee will be comprised of Board members, faculty, staff, and students. The Diversity Action Plan, which was tabled by the Board of Trustees at the May 2006 meeting, will be discussed first and amended, with an expected approval date of next October at the Board meeting. An outside facilitator and/or experts who work on diversity and organizational change will be used for continuing this important work. Dr. Fernandes will report more on this soon.

* Climate and Communication:

Issues about the flow of, and access to, information across groups and from top down and bottom up were raised. The need for more substantive dialogue, more trust and inclusiveness, and less fear and intimidation was discussed. Finally, transparency and clarity in process, procedures, and criteria were called for. We have begun a discussion about these issues and recognize that the Board needs to interact more directly with campus constituents and will set up less filtered, more informal times for interaction when the Board meets on campus. The Board also decided that it is important to leave the Board Room and participate in an event on campus at least once during each of its official meetings on campus. These activities would be a start toward more direct communication between the campus community and the Board.

* Accountability and Governance:

In our meetings with constituents, we recognized that there is a desire for more shared power and responsibility in the overall campus governance; more meaningful partnerships between the groups that comprise the campus community (administration, staff, students, faculty); and better accountability mechanisms so that there are actions and outcomes that follow ideas and promises.

The Board has begun a discussion about some possible ways to address these concerns, First, we are asking Dr. Fernandes to lead the search for a new Provost with full faculty involvement. Second, we are ensuring that the process to select an interim provost includes faculty, staff, and students. Currently, Dr. Jordan is working with the Chair of the Faculty, Chair of the Staff Advisory Committee, the SBG president, and the GSA president to identify individuals to serve on a committee to help select an interim provost. Third, we are researching models of trusteeship used at other universities for the purpose of identifying ways to directly involve campus constituencies in Board business.

* Leadership

Our shared conversations expressed the need for continued leadership that would support our strategic goals and plans to: strive for academic excellence; enhance education for future leaders in industry, education, and politics; serve as a viable role model for the deaf community nationally and globally; embrace change; and establish and invigorate a positive climate of trust, inclusiveness, respect and partnerships on campus.

We think that the ideas and actions above address leadership. We also believe that the issue of leadership is one that all constituents on campus must take up together, and that this Board, like most other university Boards, must principally play an oversight and policy-making role.

We want to emphasize that these are first steps toward addressing the concerns we heard when we were on campus last week. The Board, the president and the president-select will continue to discuss and plan actions that respond to what you told us. We all care deeply about Gallaudet and we will move forward together, as a community, because we can do great things when we work together.

(Contributed by: Gary Fitts, WADNet Reader)

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.