[WADNet Post] May 12, 2006: Gallaudet Updates

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:27:57 -0500

Gallaudet University News
-- Unity for Gallaudet Forum Resolution
-- Updates on Events at Gallaudet University
Unity for Gallaudet Forum Resolution

Resolution from the GUAA-WI chapter and the concerned Deaf community members on Unity for Gallaudet

developed at Madison Association of the Deaf clubhouse on May 10, 2006.

To: Gallaudet University Board of Trustee
From: GUAA-WI chapter and the concerned Deaf community members
CC: I. King Jordan, Jane K. Fernandes, FSSA, NAD and GUAA
Subject: Unity for Gallaudet

There were over 30 GUAA-WI chapter members and concerned Deaf community members in attendance at Madison

Association of the Deaf clubhouse on the evening of May 10, 2006 to share their profound feelings and concerns
about the current crisis at Gallaudet University. The group consisted of Gallaudet alumni ranging in classes from '54 to

'00. Deaf community members who did not attend Gallaudet University also came out in significant numbers to

participate in the discussions and in the development of the resolution below.

The consensus among us is as follows:

Whereas, the GUAA-WI chapter is an organization with nearly 150 members.

Whereas, we support and embrace in full all five talking points developed by the FSSA. The talking points as follow

are:
1. It is not about individuals, it is about social justice.
2. The role of President at Gallaudet University is seen as being more than just a university administrator, it involves

the role of ambassador for the international Deaf and hard of hearing community.
3. We resent the president's office's divisive actions during the crisis.
4. There are too many unanswered questions regarding the role of the president's office in the search process and the

inclusiveness of diversity and the community perceptions.
5. We care deeply about Gallaudet and its future. This protest is to save Gallaudet from low academic expectation

and exclusionary university practices.

Whereas, we are too deeply concerned by the split among our beloved Gallaudetians and the United States Deaf

Community as the result of the crisis at Gallaudet University. As the presidential signer of our alma mater's charter

once famously said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

Be it resolved that GUAA-WI formally and strongly requests the Gallaudet University Board of Trustees to do the

following:

1. The Gallaudet University Board of Trustees must demonstrate flexibility, democracy and dynamism, and take a

proactive stance to resolve the current crisis by doing whatever is necessary to resolve the impasse including but not

limited to rescinding the offer of presidency to Dr. Jane Fernandes.

2. No reprisals of any kind be made against any of the faculty, staff, students and alumni involved in this protest.

Be it resolved that GUAA-WI members and concerned Deaf community members in attendance unaminously and

enthusiastically adopts this resolution on May 10, 2006.

GUAA-WI chapter forum committee

GUAA WI Chapter Members: Wisconsin Deaf Community Members:
Chris Woodfill '97 Thomas Armato
Steven A. Fuerst '94 Matt Klam
Suzette A. Fuerst (Aguayo) '97 Ken Hewitt
Paul Fuerst '93 Ann Marie Hathway
Tamara Fuerst (Perry) '95 Tony Acker Jr.
Darrell Roby '98 Kristie Acker
Michael Ginter ' 85 Clifford Schrubbe
Linda Ginter (Stecker) '82 Nancy Bartram
Dianne Armato (Holbus) '82 Byron Bartram
Roger Claussen '85 Joseph Riggio
Jerrod Keim '00
Karla Gunn '96
Leonard J. Peacock '54
Jack R. Hathway '57
Patricia A. Dyreson '69
John B. Dyreson '68
Tom Harbison '75
Kathryn Harbison (Hegberg) '76
Gary A. Fitts '76
Jack Cassell '75
Ann Cassell '74
Deloris Erlandson '60
Jeffrey Bronk '92
Zuhair Alsaegh '95
Ryan Kelly '05

(Contributed by: Christopher Woodfill, WADNet Reader)

May 9, 2006

MEMORANDUM
TO: Bill Graham, Board Secretary
FROM: Celia May Baldwin
SUBJECT: Tenure on the Board of Trustees

After many sleepless nights and much reflection these past several days, I regret to tell you that on Sunday night I came

to the decision to resign from the Gallaudet Board of Trustees. The presidential search and the controversy that has

ensued have put enormous strain and stress on me. I simply could not ignore the numerous aggressive threats I have

received over the past weeks.

I cannot express how disappointed I am that it has to come to this point. However, I trust that you will give me your

full support and understanding in my decision.

It is my sincerest hope that you feel I have served Gallaudet University to the fullest in the years that I have been on the

Board. I admire and respect each of my colleagues on the Board and am glad that I had the opportunity of working

closely with several of them in the recent months as the Interim Chair. I also appreciate all the assistance I received

from the President’s Office. I am truly saddened by recent events.

I am confident that we all share the same goal of working towards the best possible future for Gallaudet University.

Thank you for allowing me to serve this fine institution.

cc: Board of Trustees

I. King Jordan

(Contributed by: Gary Fitts, WADNet Reader)

STATEMENT REGARDING RESIGNATION OF ACTING CHAIR, CM BALDWIN

"I am deeply saddened by the resignation of acting board chair CM Baldwin. No one should face threats and personal

attacks and we respect her personal decision to step down. I am grateful for her tenure on our Board and her

commitment to Gallaudet. We remain united in our support and decision of Dr. Fernandes and are committed to

moving the University forward."

Brenda Brueggemann, Acting Board Chair

Gallaudet University

(Contributed by: Gary Fitts, WADNet Reader)

IF YOU ARE CHANGING EMAIL ADDRESSES, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE TWO STEPS:

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.