[WADNet Post] February 28, 2006: General News

  • From: wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:06:37 -0600 (CST)

GENERAL NEWS
        --  WCA is now Disability Rights Wisconsin!
        --  Anyone Have a Hearing Dog?
        --  Deaf Coffee Chats Information
        --  Free Fire Alarms
        --  Mar 4: Wisinois Deaf Disc Golf Qualifier
        --  Mar 10-12: Statewide Parent Conference for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing
and Deaf-Blind
        --  Mar 22: Deaf Culture Day
        --  Apr 1: WTCI Biennial Meeting and Banquet - HOTEL DEADLINE EXTENDED
        --  Jul 30: WTRS Annual Picnic
        --  Aug 19: Deaf Picnic in Darien, WI
WCA is now Disability Rights Wisconsin!

On Monday, Feb 20 we will start using Disability Rights Wisconsin as our
agency name and our new logo.  The phone will be answered with Disability
Rights Wisconsin beginning that same day.  We have new letterhead for all
three of our offices and business cards for all staff.  Notice of the name
change is being sent via email or mail to our members (donors), funders,
organizations we collaborate with, and others.  Attached is a copy of the
announcement that will be sent by email or mail.

We are working on developing a new agency brochure with the new name which
we'll print once we move the Madison office to its new location (likely
May).  We will also be doing a major revamping of our web site.

All staff email addresses will now end in:  drwi.org (see below for mine
as an example).  However, we have set up our email for the foreseeable
future so that even if someone writes to us with the WCA email address we
will still receive the email.

Please also note that we now have a new TTY number which is the same
number for all 3 of our offices:  888-758-6049

We have changed how we now handle TTY calls.  We will be using a Textnet
system which allows staff to respond to TTY calls using their computers
instead of having to use a shared TTY device.

-----------------------------------

Joan Karan, Assistant Director
Disability Rights Wisconsin*
16 N. Carroll Street, Ste. 400
Madison, WI  53703
608 267-0214 Voice
608 267-0368 Fax
800 928-8778 Consumers & family only
888 758-6049 TTY
jkaran@xxxxxxxx

*formerly Wisconsin Coalition for Advocacy

PLEASE NOTE NEW AGENCY NAME, E-MAIL ADDRESS, AND TTY NUMBER

        (Contributed by: Jim Powell, WADNet Reader)

Anyone Have a Hearing Dog?

Does anyone know a police officer who knows basic sign language?  Do you
or someone you know have a hearing dog?

We need kid-friendly demonstrators to do a short safety presentation for
25 to 50 deaf and hard of hearing kids on the afternoon of Saturday April
29th, at the Deaf Mentors Program Fun Day event. Please share your contact
information with Laura Jean Davis at aslsigninghands@xxxxxxxxx or Stefanie
Saltern at stefsaltern@xxxxxxxxxx We appreciate your feedback.

Thank you -

        (Contributed by: Laura Jean Davis, WADNet Reader)

Deaf Coffee Chats Information

Deaf Coffee Chat socials have been spreading across the US.  We have them
in Wisconsin, too.

These are just casual socials held at coffeehouses (often Starbucks) on
weekday evenings or weekend mornings, once or twice each month.  Stop in,
grab a cup of java, and enjoy a relaxing chat with friends!

To find one year you, go to http://www.deafcoffee.com and select your
state, then find the city nearest you.

Enjoy!

        (Contributed by: Craig Savka, WADNet Reader)

Free Fire Alarms

The NACHI Foundation has been awarded a grant from FEMA and the Department
of Homeland Security. The grant will span over one year and will be used
to give smoke detectors to individuals who are deaf and hard of hearing
and are not otherwise able to obtain them.

To apply for a FREE visual fire alarm, please go to:
www.safehousecampaign.com/application.php

The NACHI Foundation, Safe House Program Press Release:
The deaf and hard of hearing community consists of up to 28 million
Americans according to FEMA reports. Many of these individuals live in
poverty. These individuals are often unable to afford the smoke alarms
that are designed to be seen by them, even in their sleep. The alarms can
cost upwards to $200 and most models require hard wiring by an electrician
which drives u the cost even more. Therefore, these homes go largely
unprotected. Hard of hearing residents have little chance of escape from
advanced fires with no early notice. Many more that can afford the devices
are unaware of their existence. Emphasis is placed on communications
equipment that can be used buy the deaf and hard of hearing, but safety
devices like smoke alarms go without much thought. This mentality exists
even in non hearing impaired homes. However more emphasis is constantly
placed on smoke alarms while these specialty devices go without emphasis
even from any of the major fire prevention groups. The NACHI Foundation,
in considering this evidence and facts, has determined that there is still
a large hole to fill in the deaf communities. We have thus begun a program
to distribute visual smoke alarms free of charge to the deaf and hard of
hearing.

        (Contributed by: Jason Altmann, WAD)

Mar 4: Wisinois Deaf Disc Golf Qualifier

Hey Deaf Disc Golfers and Rookies!

What: Wisinois Deaf Disc Golf Qualifier.
Who: Deaf Disc Golfers and fans
When: March 4, 2006.
Time: 11am
Where: Anna Page Park @ Rockford, Illinois
How: bring $20 and ur discs.
-if no discs, u can borrow some of mine.

Format: Best Shot handicap doubles.
Handicap = new player with experienced deaf disc golfer. (I will partner
up with the worst/newest player!!)

We will use 27 holes.

All paid competitors will receive one disc from my stash as well as
Wisinois points.

There will be Prizes for top 3 teams @ the meeting.

Wisinois Club will have their annual disc golf meeting shortly after 27
holes are complete.

Where? - JD's Bar 'n' Grill on Riverside (same place as last year)

Wanna know what is up with Wisinois Deaf Disc Golf Club? Come and find
out!  =o)

Look forward to seeing you there.

-Kent Schafer

Any questions, reach us at board@xxxxxxxxxxxx

        (Contributed by: Scott Kendziorski, WADNet Reader)

Mar 10-12: Statewide Parent Conference for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing and
Deaf-Blind

The 4th Annual Statewide Parent Conference is scheduled for March 10 ? 12,
2006 at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel, Appleton.  The goal of the
conference is to bring families of children who are deaf, hard of hearing
and deafblind together in a supportive, educational, and enjoyable
atmosphere.  The conference offers parents the opportunity for valuable,
personal contact with one another, as well as professionals and students
in the field through workshops and informal interactions. This is an
exciting opportunity for volunteers to meet and learn from the challenges
and joys of families with children who are deaf, har! d of hearing and
deafblind.  Please consider volunteering your time for this valuable
experience!  In exchange for your time, we will provide you with lodging
and food throughout the weekend.  We appreciate your willingness to assist
during this important conference.

Contact Bonnie L. Eldred at bonnie.eldred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for volunteer
packets.

        (Contributed by: Bonnie Eldred, WESPDHH)

Mar 22: Deaf Culture Day

The Interpreter Technician Program at Gateway Technical College in
Elkhorn, WI is hosting its annual Deaf Culture Day on Wednesday, March 22,
2006. Please join us in celebrating Deaf Culture awareness. A variety of
vendors will be on-site, along with free food, entertainment and childrens
activities. This FREE event will take place from 10:00am - 2:00pm at the
Elkhorn Campus. We hope to see you there!

Gateway Technical College
400 County Road H
South Building
Elkhorn, WI 53121

        (Contributed by: Lisa Sadowski, WADNet Reader)

Apr 1: WTCI Biennial Meeting and Banquet at Waupaca

WTCI is hosting the 16th Biennial Meeting and Banquet at the Waupaca Grand
Seasons Hotel on April 1st, 2006.

The hotel informed me that the deadline to reserve room at the special
rates HAS BEEN EXTENDED to March 5, 2006.  I urge you to think about
reserving a room there.  It is $67.00 plus tax for a single room, $77.00
plus tax for a double (2 person, room).  After March 5th, the rates go up
to over $80.00 per night plus tax.

The meeting flyer and information is available on our website at
www.wi-deafdir.info  Just click on the Meeting flyer button on the left
side.  Note, this file is 8 pages Adobe Acrobat PDF format.

Questions -- contact us at banquet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

**Deadline to register for the meeting and banquet is still March 15th.**

Please consider renewing or becoming a member of WTCI.  Membership form
are available on our website as well.  Online membership and banquet
requistration will be available soon.

Another announcement will be coming soon.  Hope to see you there!

        (Contributed by: James Powell, WTCI President)
Jul 30: WTRS Annual Picnic

Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay System (WTRS) Annual Picnic

WTRS is happy to announce that the 14th Annual Picnic will be held July 30
from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m at Warner Park in Madison, WI.

Through the picnic, WTRS expresses sincere thanks to our Wisconsin
customers for using Wisconsin Relay Service. Last year, over 600 people
attended our picnic, and we look forward to seeing all of you again.

As always, there will be FREE Food, Beverages, Games, Activities and DOOR
PRIZES!

Please make plans to attend with family and friends, the 14th Annual WTRS
Picnic on July 30, 2006!

For more information, please call WTRS Customer Service at 1-800-283-9877
(TTY) or 1-800-395-9877 (voice). We can also be reached through email at

wirelay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        (Contributed by: Joe Riggio, Hamilton Relay)

Aug 19: Deaf Picnic in Darien, WI

Hosted by FOUR Deaf Clubs:
SLAD, MAD, Racine-Kenosha Club of the Deaf, GMAD

WHEN: August 19, 2006
TIME:   10am - 8pm
PLACE: Darien West Side Park, 355 W. Madison Street, Darien

Food and beer will be sold
Shelter provided - come rain or shine!
Playground & Baseball Fields
Sand Volleyball and Horseshoes
Door Prizes

For flyer with map and directions: http://www.wi-deaf.org/chapters/slad

        (Contributed by: Dean Kelly and Ryan Kelly, Deaf Reps for the picnic)

field.

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.