[WADNet Post] Aug 1: Special Notice

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:29:57 -0500

SPECIAL NOTICE
--  Shore to Shore News
Shore to Shore News

Reminder: Shore to Shore is still offering summer programming. We have two more dates, August 7^th and 14^th . Details are below. If you know of a family who would like to attend, please have them contact me. We need confirmation to insure we have enough childcare volunteers.

Thank you.

SHORE TO SHORE
A program for Families with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Members

Do you feel the need to connect with other parents who are raising deaf or hard of hearing children? Are you a deaf parent who would like to meet others? Do you want your children to play with other kids so they learn social skills and make friends? Do you wish you had someone who you could learn and practice your sign language skills? If you answered yes to any of these questions, please join us.

Summer Story Time and Parent Group
Tuesday mornings 9:00am to 11:30am.  July 17th through August 14th

This program starts with playgroup, circle time and storytelling experiences in American Sign Language, followed by supervised literacy activities for children and workshops for adults on the needs of deaf and hard of hearing children. Sign language and voice interpreting will be available.

A light snack will be provided for the children. If you plan to attend, please RSVP to allow time to arrange for childcare volunteers with sign language experience.

Parent Topics:

• Discipline for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Child

• Learn the importance and the techniques of drawing simple pictures to build conversations with your children about their daily routines and special events –
Theresa Tolan, artist and former director of Shore to Shore

• Literacy and the importance of reading to deaf and hard of hearing children

Where? Early Childhood Center in the FCI building at 2120 Fordem Avenue, Madison 53704

Contact:
Connie Stevens
608-241-5150  ext. 16
cstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or

Spanish contact: Birch Barron
241-5150 ext. 20
bbarron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shore to Shore

A Special Gathering in the Summer

To allow for communication among all participants, a volunteer sign language interpreter, Spanish interpreter and childcare workers will be available for the following activity:

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Family Potluck Picnic in the Park

WHEN:  Thursday, August 23rd  6:00pm

Come one, come all. Gather with old friends and make new ones in this relaxed environment. Bring a dish to share with others in attendance. Students who are deaf and hard of hearing, and their families, who live in any Dane County school district, are encouraged to attend.

Collaborated event with Shore to Shore, Access to Independence’s Denise Pulfer and Madison Metropolitan School District’s D/HH Department’s Jovita Gandolfo and Deb Anken-Dyer. WHERE: Westmoreland Park, a City of Madison Park, 4114 Tokay Blvd (go to www.cityofmadison.com/parks/major/westMorePark.html for details and directions)

Need a Spanish version of our current schedule?  Contact us.
Si necesitas nuestro horario en español por favor llámenos.

We believe that communication in the family is the foundation to social, emotional and academic development.

Shore to Shore is a bridge between two languages and cultures - the deaf and hard of hearing members on one shore and the hearing members on the other shore.

Connie Stevens
Shore to Shore Parent Educator
A program of Family Enhancement
cstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
608-241-5150 ext. 16
2120 Fordem Avenue
Suite 210
Madison, WI  53704

About Shore to Shore:
Shore to Shore is a program for families with deaf or hard of hearing children. We believe that communication in the family is the foundation of language and thus social, emotional and academic development.

   (Contributed by: Connie Stevens, Shore to Shore)