[WADNet Post] Apr 10: General News

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:14:03 -0500

GENERAL NEWS
--  Interpreter Licensure Workshop Slides
--  Water Tower View Apartments
--  April WHAT'S UP! Newsletter
--  IMPORTANT AODA Survey for Adults
--  2007 Performances at the Commonweal Theatre
--  Vacancy: Governor's WTRS Advisory Council
--  Apr 13-14: ASL Films: Forget Me Not
--  Apr 19-21: GLDBA Events hosted by GMAD
--  Apr 23: Accessible Housing Conference
--  Apr 28: DHHA's 8th Deaf Comedy Club (DCC8)
--  May 4-6: ASL WEEKEND IS BACK!
--  Jun 21-24: 50TH Biennial Conference, Delavan
--  Jul 20-22: GMAD Hosts CAAD Softball Tournament
--  Jul 29: WTRS Annual Picnic, Warner Park Madison
--  Aug 17-19: CDHH Family Learning Vacation, Lions Camp
--  Aug 18: 2nd Annual Four Clubs Deaf Picnic
--  Aug 30-Sep 3: 5th Midwest Timberfest of the Deaf
Interpreter Licensure Workshop Slides

On Saturday, April 7, 2007 in Menasha, a workshop was held to inform the community about an important bill on Interpreter Licensure and why it needs to pass in the Wisconsin State Legislature. Joel Mankowski, WAD Interpreter Licensure Chairperson, presented. The workshop was jointly sponsored by WAD and FRVAD.

To view the slides, go to http://www.wi-deaf.org/images/community/terpsws.pdf

   (Contributed by: Joel Mankowski, WAD Interpreter Licensure Chairperson)

Water Tower View Apartments

Water Tower View Apartments
for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deaf/Blind seniors
1 and 2 bedroom floor plans. Beautiful designed for your needs, carpeted, all appliances,
Washer-dryer hook-up, underground parking.
Many Community activities to choose from
Prices range from $665-$850 heat included
Apply for a position on our waiting list - must be income qualified
Contact Carol TTY/VP 888-532-4107
or
Katie TTY/VP 888-532-4135

Katie Voss, Housing Consultant
Cardinal Capital Management, Inc.
135 South 84th St., Suite 100
Milwaukee WI  53214
TTY/VP: 888.532.4135
VP IP Address: 75.100.117.42
Office: 414.727.9902
Fax: 414.727.9731
kvoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.cardinalcapital.us

   (contributed by Katie Voss, Cardinal Capital Management, Inc.)

April WHAT'S UP! Newsletter

Hello everyone!  Isn’t this Spring weather WONDERFUL??!!!

The April issue of “What’s Up!” is now available for viewing on the website. To see it, go to: http://whatsupnewsletter.tripod.com

NIDAC’s website has also been updated. To view that, go to: http://nidac.tripod.com

Enjoy your day!

Kim Drake
Editor, “What’s Up!” newsletter/website
http://whatsupnewsletter.tripod.com
Fort Wayne, IN

   (contributed by Kim Drake, WADNet Reader)

IMPORTANT AODA Survey for Adults

This IMPORTANT survey is for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing ADULTS to fill out.

It is COMPLETELY confidential. You can view it here: http://www.wi-deaf.org/images/community/AODASurveyforAdults.pdf
(click the link if you see one, or copy and paste the URL into your browser)

Then print the survey, fill it out, and mail it WITHOUT A RETURN ADDRESS to the address shown at the end of the survey.

   (contributed by Denise Johnson, IndependenceFirst)

2007 Performances at the Commonweal Theatre

Please join us for American Sign Language interpreted performances of all of our mainstage productions in 2007.

"Ghosts" by Henrik Ibsen
April 15 at 2pm

A torrent of Victorian unspeakables swirls around the Alving household in this highly ironic look at how strict conventionality can lead to tragic results.

Sunday, April 15 at 2:00 p.m.
at the historic St. Mane Theatre in Lanesboro
206 Parkway Ave N

Patrons in need of interpreter services will receive a 50% discount on all tickets, courtesy of the Commonweal and VSA arts of Minnesota

"Crimes of the Heart" by Beth Henley
June 10 at 2pm

"The Mystery of Irma Vep" by Charles Ludlam
July 29 at 2pm - in our new theatre!

"Wait Until Dark" by Frederick Knott
September 16 at 2pm - in our new theatre!

"Uncle Vanya" by Anton Chekhov
November 4 at 2pm - in our new theatre!

"Inspecting Carol" by Daniel Sullivan
December 16 at 2pm - in our new theatre!

Through July 5, all performances are at the historic St. Mane Theatre in Lanesboro Minnesota, 206 Parkway Ave N, until we move into our brand new, fully-accessible home right next door.

Patrons in need of interpreter services will receive a 50% discount on all tickets, courtesy of the Commonweal and VSA arts of Minnesota.

For reservations, call 800-657-7025 or email tickets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Website: www.CommonwealTheatre.org

Jill Underwood
Resident Company Member
Commonweal Theatre
www.commonwealtheatre.org

   (Contributed by: Jill Underwood, Commonweal Theatre)

Vacancy: Governor's WTRS Advisory Council

Currently, the Governor’s WTRS Advisory Council has one vacant slot on behalf of deaf or hard of hearing candidate who would represent northern Wisconsin including Fox Valley areas that needs to be filled soon. For more information about Council’s responsibilities, please see the following:

Responsibilities of the TRS Council are to advise the Division of Technology Enterprise (DET) regarding:
Functional requirements and operational procedures for TRS

o TRS (24 hr a day, 7 day a week) access issues

o TRS users rates equivalency issues

o TRS call handling issues

o TRS CA training issues

o TRS Contractual issues

· They typically meet twice a year - once in the fall and again in spring. The meeting typically lasts from 3 to 4 hours. The time of the meeting is scheduled from 10 am to 2 pm on a Friday. The State of Wisconsin reimburses their travel, meal and accommodation (depending where the meeting is). The location of meeting normally meets within two hours from Madison. Most of our meetings are in Madison. This is a voluntary participating event for Advisory Council members to meet.

· Once in five years, we would have one or two members from the Advisory Council to help us evaluating the RFP. This could consume anywhere from 4 to 12 hours of his or her time, depending on the nature of the RFP process.

· The length of term in serving on the Advisory Council would be at Governor's pleasure. Naturally, with a good reason, a council member could send a letter of resignation to Governor for his/her approval.

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, are interested in serving on the Governor's WTRS Advisory Council and are living in northern Wisconsin, please submit your letter of interests to Governor’s Office with a "cc" to Jack R. Cassell on those following addresses below:

Governor's Office
Attn: Appointments Director/Records Officer
115 East-State Capitol, P.O. Box 7863
Madison, WI  53707-7863

Cc: to Jack R. Cassell as follows:
Jack R. Cassell
Wisconsin TRS Contract Administrator
DOA Building
101 East Wilson Street, 8th Floor
Madison, WI 53707-7844

On your letter of interest, be sure to include your TRS experience, length of using TRS and any information that you have made some contributions to improve quality of TRS. In addition, you may want to add what you would do to contribute to the Governor’s WTRS Advisory Council if you were appointed by the Governor.

If you have more questions about this vacant position, please contact Jack R. Cassell on the following: 800-901-8389 [Phone], 165.189.92.46 [Videophone] or 608-267-6934 [TTY].

   (Contributed by: Jack Cassell, WTRS)

Apr 13-14: ASL Films: Forget Me Not

A fundraiser for Jr.NAD and SBC

ASL Films: Forget Me Not
100 minutes, PG-13
Where: WSD's Hannan Gym
When:
April 13, 2007 at 7:00 pm
April 14, 2007 at 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm
Admission:
$10 per ticket or $12 at the door

This movie explores the conflicts caused by a mysterious stranger facing the deaf family after winning the lottery and retreating to a cabin. Join
the family as they go on a suspense-filled journey into the past.

Contact Dianne Armato at Dianne.Armato@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
or
Karla Gunn at Karla.Gunn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for tickets.

We hope you will come and watch the movie!

View flyer at: http://www.wi-deaf.org/images/community/ASLForgetMeNot.pdf
OR go to WAD site (www.wi-deaf.org) and find the event in the Community Calendar - click the calendar, then "jump" to month April, click on 13th or 14th.

Thank You,
WSD Jr.NAD and SBC

   (Contributed by: Karla Gunn, WSD)

Apr 19-21: GLDBA Events hosted by GMAD

Message from GLDBA 2007 Committees…

Hats off to CAAD Basketball 2007 Committees for outstanding hosting. Another BIG event will be happening in April 2007. We all hope that you will come and be part of this event. As of today, we have received 200 paid combos! For information on GLDBA daily events, please read below.

Come play Wingo on Thursday April 19th, 2007 at 8PM at Four Points by Sheraton Hotel in New Orleans Room. Enter for a chance to win at a 100% price payout plus $200 by Milwaukee Deaf Bowling Association! (Prizes are based on entries). Purchase your ticket for $20 before April 1, 2007. Refreshments will be included. After April 1, 2007 the ticket price will go up to $25. Website for Wingo flyer: http://www.wi-deaf.org/images/gmad/20070419Wingo.pdf or go to http://www.wi-deaf.org, then look on left side of the screen and click on "GLDBA/GMAD Wingo Night" under "Community Events".

Think you can hold 'em off long enough for a chance at winning 100% pay out plus $300 from the Milwaukee Deaf Bowling Association? On Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 8PM at the Sheraton Hotel there will be a Texas Hold 'Em poker challenge. (Prizes are based on entries). All tickets are $35 until March 31, 2007. Refreshments will be included. Tickets will go up to $40 after March 31, 2007. Website for flyer: http://www.wi-deaf.org/images/gmad/20070419Poker.pdf or go to http://www.wi-deaf.org, then look on left side of the screen and click on "GLDBA/GMAD Poker Tourney" under "Community Events".

On Friday and Saturday, April 20 & 21, 2007, come to this wonderful bowling tournament hosted by the Greater Milwaukee Association of the Deaf. Combo tickets are $40. After March 31, 2007, all bowling combo tickets will be $50.
Website for GLDBA Bowling Tournament: http://gldba-gldwba.org/2007/Index.htm

On Saturday April 21, come and enjoy a very funny one-woman comedy act brilliantly performed by award winning Deaf Canadian Angela Petrone Stratiy. Well traveled and well versed in ASL stories and anecdotes, this internationally acclaimed stand up comedian tells it like it is. Guaranteed to make deaf and hearing people laugh, Angela will perform at the Great Lakes Deaf Bowling Association in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Check out her website at www.deafutopia.com.

Get your COMBO TICKET for only $40. Don't forget... After March 31, 2007 the ticket price goes up to $50 so hurry while the deal is still good!

For more information on GLDBA - website: http://gldba-gldwba.org/2007/Index.htm

   (Contributed by: David Letkiewicz, GLDBA Committee)

Apr 23: Accessible Housing Conference

On Monday, April 23, 2007, the Madison Mayor’s Office will Host Creating Accessible Communities: A Conference for Housing Consumers, Builders, and
Developers

On April 23, 2007 at the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz’s office, in cooperation with Access to Independence, the Madison Area Community Land Trust, and other groups will sponsor a conference on accessible housing. Members of the community interested in accessible housing will be invited to learn more about the need for accessible housing in the Madison area, and what can be done to increase the availability of accessible housing for the people who need it. The conference will focus on accessibility in both the multifamily rental and single-family home ownership markets.

Statistics show that, as the “Baby Boom” generation ages, the need for accessible housing will increase. This generation sets new standards for living longer and staying more active. They want to stay in their homes in the community, not be isolated in nursing homes or segregated in separate buildings or communities.

The “visitability” movement stresses that housing throughout all our communities should be “visitable” by people with mobility issues, allowing full integration of people regardless of their abilities. The Madison Area Community Land Trust is on the forefront of developing model “visitable” communities and neighborhoods on Madison’s east side.

As many local architects, housing developers, and housing consumers can attest, increased accessibility can be attractive and functional. It benefits not only people with disabilities, but also families with young children, seniors, and those with temporary disabilities.

Come to the conference to learn more! Registration is FREE if you register before Monday April 16, $25 if you register after April 16. For more information contact The Mayor’s Office at (608) 266-4611 or Textnet/TTY (866) 704-2340.

If you need interpreter services, materials in alternate formats, or other accommodations to participate, please contact us as soon as possible. (Sign Language interpreters are being scheduled for the event, but plans have not been finalized.) To accommodate those with multiple chemical sensitivity or environmental illness, we ask that you refrain from wearing perfumes or scented products to this event. We also ask that participants refrain from flash photography.
   (Contributed by: Tracy Miller, Access to Independence, Inc.)

Apr 28: DHHA's 8th Deaf Comedy Club (DCC8)

DEAF COMEDY CLUB!
The date is Saturday, April 28, 2007. The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Alliance (DHHA) is proudly hosting 8th Deaf Comedy Club (DCC8) with our guest star, "Manny" at Wil-O-Way Community Center in Wauwatosa. You may check Manny's website at aslstorytelling.com

Please visit DHHA's website for more information:  www.dhha-wi.org

NOTE:
Deaf Comedy Club is seeking help in finding future comedy performers to play on our stage, if you know or find someone that you would like to see their performance, please let us know with names of performers by sending an email to dhhaoffice@xxxxxxxxxxx ASAP. We look forward to booking more comedy performers for our future Deaf Comedy Club events!

On a friendly note, please remember to bring your friends to see our Deaf Comedy Club guest star: "Manny! The ASL Storyteller" on Saturday evening, April 28th, 7 pm, at the Wil-O-Way Underwood Community Center. Check our website at www.dhha-wi.org for more information on Deaf Comedy Club.

If you would like a free admission to see "Manny!", you can email to Jch4@xxxxxxx for volunteering opportunities at the Deaf Comedy Club and the deadline is April 23rd.

If you would like to make a generous donation or to sponsor the 8th Deaf Comedy Club on April 28th to cover the costs for a stage and lights rental, or a performer's travel expense, please email to Dan Houlihan at president@xxxxxxxxxxx

Lastly, DHHA is collaborating with UWM ITP in providing a community educational workshop on "Certified Deaf Interpreter...What's that ?!?!" in the afternoon of April 28th, the same date as the Deaf Comedy Club, at the Wil-O-Way Community Center from 2 - 5 pm. Lisa Perry Burckhardt is the presenter of this workshop. All are welcome to learn more about the Deaf Interpreter.

Catered Dinner will be provided from 5 - 7 pm. A combo ticket for all day (workshop, dinner and DCC) is $25 or $20 for dinner and DCC only. Tickets must be purchased by Monday, April 23rd. Please make a check payable to DHHA and send a note along with check to DHHA Office, 9431 W. Beloit Rd, Milwaukee, WI 53227. Questions about the workshop and dinner, please direct your email to jahess@xxxxxxx only.

You can come and pay $10 at door, just to see the Deaf Comedy Club.

See you on April 28th! Don't forget to bring your friends!

   (Contributed by: Dan Houlihan, DHHA)

May 4-6: ASL WEEKEND IS BACK!

ASL Weekend will be May 4th, 5th and 6th, 2007 at the Wisconsin Lion's Camp in Rosholt, WI.

ASL Weekend is an opportunity to immerse yourself in ASL and Deaf Culture by participating in:

 * A "No Talking Allowed" signing environment!
* Insightful workshops that both Deaf and hearing participants (at varied levels) can enjoy!
 * Spending time with Deaf Mentors!
 * Fun activities!
 * Entertainment!
 * PLENTY OF FUN SOCIAL TIME!

THIS WEEKEND IS ONLY FOR ADULTS WHO HAVE TAKEN AT LEAST ASL II OR ABOVE OR CAN COMMUNICATE INDEPENDENTLY IN SIGN LANGUAGE.

For registration, presenter, workshop and all other information, please go to www.aslweekend.org. Note: DEAF PARTICIPANTS RECEIVE $20.00 OFF ALL PACKAGES!!!

   (Contributed by: Cassie (Manuel) Franklin, ASL Weekend Committee)

Jun 21-23: 50TH Biennial Conference, Delavan

WAD’s 50th Biennial Conference will be on June 21-24, 2007 in Delavan, hosted by Southern Lakes Association of the Deaf.

Chairperson: Roger Claussen
Conference Site: Wisconsin School for the Deaf, Veterans Memorial Park, and Southern Lakes Association of the Deaf.

See announcement and flyer on WAD's website - click "WAD 50th Biennial Conference" link under Community Events, or look in Community Calendar - click the calendar, then click to "jump to month" and select June.

   (Contributed by: SLAD Officers)

Jul 20-22: GMAD Hosts CAAD Softball Tournament

The 64th Annual Central Athletic Association of the Deaf
SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT
at
STIX SPORTS AND RECREATION
Hwy 11 & I-94
Sturtevant, WI 53177

Hotel Headquarters:
Marriott
7111 Washington Avenue
Racine, WI  53406
Phone: 262-886-6100 (voice)

JULY 20-22, 2007
HOSTED BY GMAD

TICKET PRICES:
GENERAL ADMISSION
 Registration Fee: $10
 Saturday Game:   $15
 Sunday Game:     $15
 Entertainment:    $10 (Saturday Evening)
 Program Book:    $5 *price may vary*
**Total:                $55

EARLY BIRD COMBO (purchase by May 1, 2007)
 Student with Photo ID:        $25
 Senior Citizen (55 and up):  $25
 Fans:                               $30
 Kids (age 17 & under):       $20
 Kids (age 11 & under):       FREE

2ND CHANCE EARLY BIRD COMBO (purchase by June 1, 2007)
 Student with Photo ID:        $30
 Senior Citizen (55 and up):  $30
 Fans:                               $35
 Kids (age 17 & under):       $20
 Kids (age 11 & under):       FREE

AT THE DOOR COMBO
 Student with Photo ID:        $45
 Fans:                               $50
 Kids (age 17 & under):       $35
 Kids (age 11 & under):       FREE

(TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE)

See flyer for more details at http://www.wi-deaf.org/images/community/caadsoftball2007.pdf

For more information, contact caadsoftball2007@xxxxxxxxx

   (Contributed by: Jamie Kane, WADNet Reader)

Jul 29: WTRS Annual Picnic, Warner Park Madison

Our 15th Annual Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay Systems (WTRS) Picnic is on Sunday July 29, 2007 from 11 AM to 4 PM. It will be held at Warner Park in Madison, WI.

This is a significant milestone for us because it marks 15 years of providing relay service to the state of Wisconsin. We want to show our great appreciation to our customers for using Wisconsin Relay Service. WTRS is provided by Hamilton Relay and Society’s Assets, Inc.

Best of all, food and beverages are FREE!! We will have activities, games and door prizes for kids and adults. Perhaps you will win one of the fabulous door prizes!! Please mark your calendar and bring yourself, family and friends to the 15th Annual WTRS Picnic on July 29, 2007. We will be eagerly looking forward to seeing you all there.

For more information, you can contact Relay Customer Service at (800) 283-9877 TTY or (800) 395-9877 voice. We can also be reached via email at wirelay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   (Contributed by: Dave Scotton, WTRS)

Aug 17-19: CDHH Family Learning Vacation, Lions Camp

Save the Date -  Family Learning Vacation 2007

Be sure to save the Date for Family Learning Vacation 2007, which will take place at the Wisconsin Lions Camp in Rosholt, WI, August 17-19. Family Learning Vacation (FLV) is an annual event sponsored by the Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, where families with d/Deaf and hard of hearing children from all over the state get together for a weekend of fun, friendship and interesting workshops. FLV has become a tradition for many families in Wisconsin, so please mark your calendars and take advantage of this special experience this August 17-19.

We’re also looking for volunteers with a strong interest in working with d/Deaf and hard of hearing children to help with activities throughout the weekend. For more information about FLV or to learn about volunteer opportunities available, please call the Center at 414-604-2200 (Voice) / 888-742-7651 (TTY) or email ckometer@xxxxxxxx

Kerry Malak
Communications Director
Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
www.cdhh.org

   (Contributed by: Kerry Malak, CDHH)

Aug 18: 2nd Annual Four Clubs Deaf Picnic

Hosted by Four Deaf Clubs:
Southern Lakes Association of the Deaf
Racine-Kenosha Club of the Deaf
Madison Association of the Deaf
Greater Milwaukee Association of the Deaf

Second Annual Four Clubs Deaf Picnic!

10am - 8pm
Darien West Side Park
Darien, WI

For more details, go to http://www.wi-deaf.org/images/slad/DeafPicnicAug172007.pdf or go to http://www.wi-deaf.org, then click "WAD Chapter Events" under WAD Chapters, then click "Four Clubs Deaf Picnic 2007" link.

You can also see event info in the Community Calendar on WAD website - just go to August 18, 2007 in the calendar.
   (Contributed by: SLAD Officers, SLAD)

Aug 30-Sep 3: 5th Midwest Timberfest of the Deaf

Come to Midwest Timberfest of the Deaf (MTD) at Camp Lakodia for lumberjack contests, good fun and great socializing! MTD will provide daytime events and Camp Lakodia will host nightly events. Vendors will have booths to sell or advertise products and services. Bring your family to this unique lakeside setting in Eastern South Dakota!

ø Ax Throwing
ø Log Splitting
ø Single Bucking
ø Much More!

Additional information plus Combo and Combo + Lodging prices can be found here:
http://www.wi-deaf.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=59

If you have questions, email Kevin Ryan, MTD Chairperson, at wrestkpt42@xxxxxxx

   (Contributed by: Dave Surprenant, WADNet Reader)

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO RECEIVE WADNET POST IN DIGEST MODE: To start receiving WADNet Posts in digest mode, simply send an email to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "set digest" in the subject line. Leave the body of the email blank. You should get a confirmation saying "set digest" and "Flag successfully set". After that, you will start receiving WADNet Post in digest instead of separate emails for each post.

TO STOP DIGEST AND GO BACK TO NORMAL EMAIL:
Send an email to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unset digest" in the subject line.  Leave
the body of the email blank.  You will get a confirmation showing "unset digest" and "Flag
successfully set".  And you'll go back to receiving normal emails from WADNet Post.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.